Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Grow Happy

What kind of child were you? What kind of adult did you think you would become? These were a couple of the questions cruising through my brain during my run tonight. Further to these questions I was pondering whether or not I am happy with the person I am and if I am doing justice to the kid that I was. As I was running I started to feel happy. I am slowly getting over the chest-burning pain and getting to those moments when I can just run and think. It is great. It makes me feel HAPPY. And I am reflecting now on happiness in my life.

See that smiling girl above? When I was a her I was involved in many activities. Now I find my time distributed between work and school and laziness. I am not doing enough to stimulate myself in the things that I enjoy. It used to be creative writing. And cross-country running. And then canoeing. And football. And then travelling. I have signed up for fencing classes later this month and I hope that it will help me continue on my path to being more fulfilled in me.

For a long time I ascribed to the Malkoski view of contentedness. This position was recently challenged by a friend with an inspirational view on happiness and self-fulfillment. Which brings me back to my calm and happy run through the tree-lined streets this evening. Then tonight on "Bones" (hello! David Boreanaz in jeans! but that is a different kind of happiness) the title character stated the following:

"Buddhists say if we can lose ourselves in the moment without distraction or desire we experience truth"


Now, forgiving the fact that I am interpreting life tips from a TV show (likely) mis-quoting Buddhism I still want to express my new position. I am done with working towards contentedness. I am actually quite content in most of the aspects of my life. I am no longer seeking happiness in a chasing-rainbows kind of way. What I am going to try and do is honestly, openly, and thoroughly enjoy the moments of my life. I am aiming for TRUE moments. I want to have as many genuine moments as I can. Moments wherein I am not distracted by other things. Moments wherein I am not desiring to be elsewhere or with others. I think the kid I was would want that for the adult I am.

2 comments:

one of the McTs said...

Have I told you lately how proud I am of you and that I love you very much! Well I am and I do! :) You go girl! Aunty A xoxo

Stephanie said...

Love to hear about people running. Must get back into that myself. I'm also glad to hear there is another "Bones" watcher out there. Love that show! OK. Well, I love...um....David Boreanaz.... Anywho....

I recently read "Falling to Pieces Without Falling Apart" and I highly recommend it. It's written by a psychologist who also happens to be a buddhist. The basis of the book is how "the happiness we seek depends on our ability to balance the ego's need to do with our inherent capacity to be." It's an interesting read if you're interested in that kind of stuff.