Friday, April 07, 2006

My Boy Bryan

Did you know that I love Bryan Adams? In 1993 I saw him in concert for the first time. I went with my bestest friend - Natalie - and we took a "concert caravan" from Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie to see him play. It was the year of his Waking up the Neighbours Tour and we had general admission tickets. We got crunched in the crowd and sweated buckets and got within three rows of the stage. That's what you do at 16 and it was awesome!

I always knew that I would see him again. And this past week turned out to be full of Bryan sightings. Last Saturday he walked past me in a hotel lobby - only 2 feet away (he's actually quite short). And then I saw him accept his Lifetime Achievement Award at the Junos on Sunday. And then it was the concert. Playing to a packed house at the Halifax Metro Centre, my boy Bryan rocked us with his Room Service Tour. It was awesome!

By the end of the show I was a giddy fan-girl. I was jumping up and down I was so excited. He sounds the same as always. That great raspy garage rock voice. And when you're in an arena with everyone singing the words there is nothing more cool. There were moments when the song was owned by the audience - that beautiful mass hymn of fans singing. And there were swaying arms, and lighters (or rather cellphone screens) in the air, and bright lights and crashing cymbals. Bryan kept it basic in a black Tshirt and jeans (turned cuffs) and worked the stage for everyone's enjoyment. At one point he brought a random fan on stage to sing "Baby when you're Gone". It was an excellent moment. By the end, he got down in the crowd and shook hands and took digital photos of himself with fans. The love was energizing to watch. And it was a solid show. Two full hours. Two encores. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at the concert in Halifax as well and all I can say is wow. I have been a huge fan for years now and this only made me like him even more.
He puts on one of the greatest shows, and even my wife....who is not a big fan, loved the show as well.
Bryan Henry
http://bryanhenryns.blogspot.com