Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oscars 2007

I am not sure what it says about the Oscars this year that it has taken me so long to post. I was excited this year but I found the ceremony to be lukewarm and lacking in star power. I didn't take my usual play-by-play notes as unsurprising wins were the norm. OK, I will admit to being mildly distracted by the man (who reminds me of Daniel Craig - less smolder, nicer smile) hanging out in my living room, but even without that presence I found the telecast uninspired. The comedy sketch by the comedians was cute but when it hit 12:45am and I was barely conscious I knew this was not a show for the record books. It was passable. But I am starting to think the the Oscars are losing their lustre to the outside world.

Without a huge celebrity contingent they become a dull, three-hour parade of people you've never heard about. And, although I respect the instituion's desire to reward the talent behind the talent in filmmaking, I don't really care what sound editor jane is wearing or has to say. Maybe these feelings represent the downward slide in films generally. None of the films of this year truly inspired me. But remember ten years ago when the field included Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump and The Shawshank Redemption ALL in one year? And so, my annual commentary has become a venting post this year because I felt let down with the crown jewel of the film awards collection and I really wanted it to shine. Still, I found some fashion to add to my list. Check my faves from this year's red carpet...

Kate Winslet ... I new it!
Helen Mirren ... Timeless elegance
Jessica Biel ... OK, a bra would have helped but THAT colour!
Cate Blanchett ... Original and Beatiful

... 2005 ... 2006 ...

No comments: