Friday, March 17, 2006

Birthday Buzz

Let me tell you a little bit about my friends in HFX. They are AWESOME. They are kind. They are considerate. And they put together the best little birthday I could have hoped for considering I was feeling pretty down about the whole thing in the first place. The last 2.5 months have not been filled with sparkles and roses. They have actually been rather difficult on a personal level and my usual birthday energy was not materializing. And as I approached 31, I was having mixed feelings over the path of my life to this point. And then I had to get up at 6am on my birthday to complete an assignment. And then I was sick all morning. And, although I soldiered on - I was positive that a happy birthday was not to be. But I was WRONG.

My day truly began with an exceptional lunch with Nancy at our favourite pasta place. I got lemon chicken on herb linquini with alfredo sauce. We love this place. And then we picked up the parcel my parents had sent. I got a whole box of goodies - including a Winners gift card! Nancy dropped me off downtown to meet Amanda for a matinee of Failure to Launch. It was just as I expected - SJP in fun clothes and Mat's amazing smile (although he didn't take his shirt off enough!). We followed that up with some Winners shopping - but alas, I could not find anything worthy of my parents' generosity. Then I dropped an obscene amout of money at the liquor store - and it felt good. The bar at my place is now STOCKED!

Get home at 8pm and it happens that Tanya and Greg have concocted a birthday party at my place. SOOOOO nice. And my best friends all come over and we drink too-strong martinis and indulge in molten lava cakes with bailey's on them. And I get the coolest movie-themed & homemade birthday card that includes another (overly generous!) Winners shopping card! HELLO!!! Tanya gave me a fish necklace that is the prettiest thing I've ever seen and it made me cry. I know, I'm a softie. Amanda did my makeup so I could be all pretty for our night out and we went to a bar where my fave bar band was playing. Such a good time!

Although the gang had to be responsible and leave early (I luckily had the next day off!) I got some good dancing moves in from a friendly neighbourhood PEI boy. I gotta say, those Island guys are total sweeties! The evening ended on a refreshing note (that included a hot tub!) and a good, sound sleep - until 3pm the next day!!! All in all, it was an extraordinary way to celebrate my 31st year of life. I got everything I asked for and heard from everyone I love. That's what a birthday should be.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Raye, I can't believe that I'm such a total moron! I don't have an excuse except that, for some reason, your bday wasn't marked in my calendar this year!

I'm so upset with myself that I missed your birthday. You did NOT hear from all the people who love you and I'm sorry for that.

But I'm super happy that you had a great time anyway.

The molten lava cakes sound DIVINE!