Thursday, March 09, 2006

Begin Birthday Countdown

Did you know I love birthdays? Yes I do. Very much so. I think that birthdays are the greatest things. Why? Because they celebrate human beings. They exist to honour the joy of having a particular person in the world. They are not about a cultural or religious convention (Christmas, Easter). They are not marketing constructions (Valentine's Day). Birthdays are about people getting excited about other people being in their lives. And it is the one day of the year that you can unabashedly make all about you.

This week was full of birthdays. My nephew turned 1. My grandfather added another year. My friend Greg got "older" today and in exactly ONE WEEK it will be my turn. And for the first time in a long time I don't have a plan. Last year the invites went out a full month ahead of the date and I eventually celebrated for almost a week. So far I've received a decadent cake to enjoy while visiting Nat & Blair in Montreal. We even got an impromptu visit from Marge so it felt like an actually "party". And the cake? OMG! Chocolate mousse + raspberry sauce = dessert orgasm. WOW! But how will I celebrate the actual day? I have no idea. What would I like to receive? Hmmmmm...let me see.

With a self-indulgent mindset I can offer the following things I like would like. I have very few needs at the moment and although wanting anything when I already have SO much seems wrong I can't help myself! Right now there are two art prints that I am coveting by Trish Biddle. I'm a fan of Birds of Paradise and Sunflowers. A winners gift card will always be well-used! But really, there is little that I want at the moment that I cannot get for myself (except maybe those fantastic snakeskin pumps that I just can't afford yet!). I'm sure my mother has found a truly original something to send my way (I got a drinking game for Valentine's afterall). I could do with a decent neck massage to take away the stress I'm feeling. And really? I little action is always nice - but it looks like this is yet another birthday that's going to pass by without it (please, nobody "buy" this for me!!!) So I will just hope that the world keeps spinning for the next week.

1 comment:

one of the McTs said...

I know its early but... Happy bday to you! Happy bday to you! Happy bday Happy bday, happy bday to you! :P Love ya beautiful! Aunty A
xoxoxo :)
Ps scary thing is grandad turned 80 this year and I'm 43 - that much closer to 50! egads! lol