Friday, June 30, 2006

Site Sea-ing

My parents arrived last night to visit for the week. Today was our one fulll day to hang out together since I got Friday as the holiday this long weekend. It is always fun to have people you love come and visit you because it makes you take the time to RE-visit where you live. There are many tourist things that I have not done yet in Halifax and company gives me the excuse to do them.

Today was supposed to be a walking tour of the city with a trip to Crystal Crescent Beach but it was raining up a storm when we got up and the plan HAD to be revised. So we wandered off to the Maritime Museum. I was worried that it would chintzy and repetitive but I was wrong. It is a wonderful museum of all thing sea-worthy. I think the visit was enhanced by going with Tom who could explain alot of the technical details about the boats and instruments. A great learning day. We also got a private tour of the HMCS Acadia. SO cool! I love those moments when you get the special guest treatment cause you happen to be in the right spot at the right time.

The pic above was taken at the Norway Merchant Marine monument. We felt we should get a picture for my Grandad who served in with them in WWII. The history around Halifax is so rich and deep. Everytime I go somewhere there is a new thing to learn. I love being out here. And I am happy that I get the chance to share it with my parents. Even in the rain.

1 comment:

one of the McTs said...

Awesome picture Raye.. Grandad was just wondering today if your Mom and Tom made it. He had heard on the news that some planes were stuck on the ground Toronto due to thunder storms and they weren't letting people off..some had to stay on the planes for quite a long time.. so pretty icky! Love ya!
Aunty A