Sunday, June 25, 2006

I am the Queen!

Did you know that I like horse racing? My interest began while working in a pub in Alberta that was an off-track betting location. Since then I have dabbled at the tracks on the odd occassion. Admittedly I don't follow the horse racing world. But I did make a point to get to the Melbourne Cup while I was downunder and today I planned my time around the 6:10pm race for the Queen's Cup. In case you didn't know, the Queen's Cup is the first race in the Canadian Triple Crown and is the oldest stakes race in North America. It is run at the Woodbine Track in Toronto for a purse of $1M.

Today I logged on to the Queen's Plate site to scope out the 3-year-old Canadian thoroughbreds that would be running today. I know very little about how to pick a horse. I used to be able to read a track form and make a good guesstimate - but these days I go with my gut feeling on a name basis. Very scientific, I know. Today my pick was EDENWOLD. There was something about the name that spoke to me more than the others. (I have since found out that it is the name of a Saskatchewan town - so maybe that was the connection.) The odds online were 12-1 and they had increased to 16-1 by post time.


And ... well ... MY HORSE WON! My horse took an early lead and held a solid race against the railing. Holding off the favourite Malakoff and keeping the pace ahead of pressure from a determined Sterwins, Edenwold took the WIN. Yay! I was actually jumping up and down in my living room and yelling at the TV for the 2:05 minutes of excitement. If only I had bothered to place a bet!

No comments: