Saturday, June 10, 2006

Buffy, Boys and Bodies

In the past week HMV has ruined my pocketbook, my time-management capabilities, and my social motivation. But the store has also made me a very happy camper with its great DVD sale that included box sets of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" for $25 each!! So I have spent a good chunk of my time in the Buffy-verse and I one thing struck me ... David Boreanaz REALLY had it going on as Angel. And then it struck me how he much he has plumped up as he has aged. And then I realized that this is the way of men.

In the past year I saw the 30-year-old versions of some highschool b-friends. They have both gone the way-of-David and lost their angular faces. The have rounded-out the sharp lines of youth. This must be the reality of boys growing into their looks. If you want to separate the men from the boys all you need to do is look at the jawline! But it appears that the opposite is true for ladies.

Add a few years to a gal and she loses that chipmunk cheekness that made her cringe in the her early 20s. All it takes is a decade to add cheekbones and a profile to most gals. Call it the trade-off for the decline in muscle tone and effects of gravity "elsewhere".

I think it is interesting how the two genders move in opposite directions. Perhaps it is some cosmic equation that must remain in balance ... the soft curves of young girls compliment the awkward angles of young boys and then the assured angles of mature women match the confident curves of older men. I guess it doesn't really matter - it was just a Buffy-induced observation. That's what I get for watching TV that is 10 years old!

3 comments:

dub said...

interesting theory, but sadly i have another. from what i have seen, female stars always start off looking "normal" and then it seems as if they go anorexic. look at jennifer aniston from season 1 of friends compared to now.

it seems like men don't have to stay skinny to stay working in hollywood. in fact, there are guys like jim belushi (according to jim) and kevin james (king of queens) whom we all love and who never get slack about their weight. meanwhile, look at the women who play their wives on the shows.

to me it just seems like men and women have different expectations in hollywood.

buffy rocks, by the way. i actually LOVED the movie when i was younger.

Raye said...

ahhhh, yes ... i feel that theory as well and the "Friends" gals are the most extreme example - what were Jennifer and Courtney thinking.

The double-standard in H-wood is obvious but I guess that's why I found my new theory interesting since it echoed what I was seeing in MY friends as we aged nin perfectly healthy ways.

And I own a copy of the original movie.

Anonymous said...

Blair and I have both lost some of our baby softness in the face, but while his has disappeared completely, mine has reappeared in less desirable places. Anorexic Hollywood types can't let that happen though, and so they starve themselves ghastly. What a frightening picture of Sara Michelle Gellar, by the way. Give that girl a sandwich.