Sunday, February 05, 2006

Souptacular

This past week I made Butternut Squash Soup for the first time. I have never really made a soup from scratch before so this was a bit of an experiment. I think it turned out lovely. I actually sauteed a ton of orange & red peppers and added them to the mix so the soup had a solid peppers undertone. And I LOVE the flavour of squash thanks to my time in Australia (where its called pumpkin). And I finished it off with dill - my spice of choice - and a dash of parmesan cheese - for some kick. Overall, I was very chuffed with my first attempt. However, I did not make enough soup to share so the opinions of my concoction are really limited to myself and, considering my love of "bland" food, may not be the most informed. Greg did manage to snag a bowl but his comments have not yet been voiced to verify merit in my soup styling. But it was a start - I can only get better from here!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The soup was great. Just the thing needed for a cold rainy day.

Raye said...

HAHA! Success!

kodeureum said...

I started making soup from scratch because I had to, working as a day cook at the woebegone Purple Pepper at Harbourfront some ten years ago. When you arrive at one that works, it's nothing short of miraculous. Congratulations!