Thursday, February 16, 2006

Nice Ice ... I Need a Drink!

The sun was a blazing red ball staring through my window as I sat down to watch tonight's Olympic free skate for the men. My love of mens figure skating is well-documented (I was about to put my partying on hold this Friday night until the event was over!) and although I can't tell an axel from a toe-loop I do know what I like.

What I'm not liking anymore is Sandhu. I was once exicted by his Bambi-eyes and choreographical innovation, but I am sorry to say Emanuel that your diva-ass is now officially off my love-list. Maybe when you finally decide that you want to be a figure skater you can work your way back into my good graces but it's not going to happen with performances like today. In a special "Fifth Estate" documentary on Sunday your coach wondered aloud if your interest in modelling out-weighed your interest in skating. In spite of our protestations, I think she knew. You love the spotlight. You love the attention. But your commitment sucks and it shows when you don't bring your acknowledged world-class artistry to the ice for the Olympics. Enjoy 13th place ... it's an appropriate fit. [Translation from Tanya: You didn't bring your A game!]

Maybe Sandhu could take a few pointers from Shawn Sawyer who ranked one place higher. In his Olympic debut Sawyer (who edged out the favoured Chris Mabee to get to Italy) showed the world what it looks like to go out and fight for it. He poured every ounce of his energy and talent into 2.5 & 4.5 segments. Compared to the Canadian grandfather of skating - Tolar Cranston - Sawyer showed immense poise and flexibility. He may not have the technical chops yet but he's got a package that will be challenging many in four years time!

And finally to Buttle. Jeffrey!!!! Way to go to the up-and-comer who is now "the man" of Canadian skating. If the boyish Buttle was dancing around the preening shadow of Sandhu for the last couple of year he officially blotted it out with his performance today. Commencing in 6th place, the likelihood of a medal was slim in the face of the competition. But Buttle put it all out on the ice, including an attempted quad, and secured a BRONZE medal. It was a tense finish as two skaters followed Buttle, both with an arsenal sufficient to knock him soundly off the podium. But the marks held up and a bronzed Buttle puts Canada back on the blocks of celebrated mens skaters. Although far outsight the league of Gold medalist Plushenko, Buttle has created an alternative league of his own. It is one that favours solid choreography, excellent spins, and that little bit of spice that is often lost in the highly technical jumping acts of his rivals. I've often said that Buttle is the next Kurt Browning - they both have that *wink* in their skating - and it was nice to see Buttle beat the Browning Olympic curse! Say hello to the new face of Canadian skating! I can't wait for the worlds in Calgary now!!

No comments: