Sunday, October 28, 2007

Masked Mayhem

Halloween has never been a big part of my adult life. I have many memories from childhood of homemade costumes (big enough to fit over a snowsuit) and pillow cases. I remember being an early teen in those last days of trick-or-treating when the social hike through the dark streets was about getting to the houses that handed out pop. But as I got older this dark event faded out of relevancy. I never had a group of friends that was INTO costume parties. So in the last 10 years I have probably dressed up 4 times - 3 of those being my time out in Halifax. But this yeare was a big one!!


This year my friend Wade decided that he was tired of never having a real costume party experience either. He wanted to host an event that was not a stop-over on the way to the bar. He wanted to host a masked event that would let people be someone other than themselves for the night. And so we planned a Masquerade Party for Saturday night and went all out. Seriously, it has been 3 weeks of costume ideas and shopping and sewing. But the results were (obviously) awesome.

I chose to go big this year and actual buy a real costume since I had gotten my hands on a cheap wig. So Marie Antoinette was born. I knew that most gals go the sexy route for Halloween (been there) and I wanted to do something a bit different. I wanted the flirty edge but not so obvious. I had actually seen the costume online and when I found it in a shop here I knew what to do! (Of course I will likely be M.A. for may Halloween's to come!)

And it was SO much fun. The day was spent getting the decorations done and the last minute running around that always takes longer than you think it will. I was tired by 7pm I didn't think I would be able to party at all. Thank you Red Bull. The crowd was smaller than the Sexy Back party but the spirits were all in the right places and the masked mayhem was marvelous. Once again my friends (and their friends) prove to be one of the best things about my life right now and I am so lucky to have their energy and support (even when I am drunkenly yelling about the lack of wine or trying to cook the hangover breakfast). Happy Halloween Everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right after the Reign of Terror ended, women started showing up at balls with ironic red ribbons tied round their necks, as if to say hah hah I didn't get guillotined, but I might have. If you ask me, that's a whole new costume for next year.

Raye said...

wow .. what a great idea. It totally pays to have smarty-pants friends!