Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The S Word

In the last few days (thanks to Facebook quizzes and friendly conversations) the topic of soulmates has been mentioned. Listening to the comments of others I have had to reflect on my own idealistic notions and decide how I feel about this word. Honestly, as a 30+ year old, single gal I feel that the youthful assurance of a soulmate has been surpassed and a new mode of belief is necessary.

The thought that springs to mind these days is one full of the belief in soul mates but with none of the romantic trappings the word usually connotes. The dictionary declares a soul mate to be one with whom you share a strong affinity. It says nothing about that someone being a "match" or a "partner" or "the one". And in fact, limiting the the idea to these terms removes too many options for most people. Can you have more than one soul mate? The statistical odds of the world would point to yes. Can you have more than one soul mate at one time? The possessive assumptions of romance would point to know.

For me? A soul mate is someone who knows you to your core. Someone who loves you for what that core embodies and to whom you offer the same. It is someone who consistently enriches your life. Someone who gets it - whatever the particular "it" between you happens to be. And it is someone you are not related to - I think a soul mate comes from a relationship of choice and not blood. So in that context, I firmly believe that my best friend is a soul mate of mine. I have not yet dated anyone who would fit the bill ... yet. So I guess I will keep some of my soulful dreams still.

... R word ... D word ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww. When I was reading your definition, I thought, "Hey, that means Raye's my soulmate!" Glad you think so too.

Raye said...

ok ... you almost made me cry