Monday, April 23, 2007

Morning Sun

I hate mornings. Rather I hate getting up in the morning. My bed always seems to reach the perfect temperature and my mind & body have completely relaxed just in time to get up. I sometimes say that I am allergic to mornings (which is not completely false since I have been prone to nasty histamine attacks if I get up too fast) but usually I am just groggy. No matter the reason I am aware that I have cultivated a reputation for NOT being a morning person and that's OK. But I have to admit that on those rare occassions when I do get up before the last minute I really enjoy the morning. Mornings are peaceful. There is a quietness in the air that only exists in the time BEFORE activity begins.

This weekend I made a point to get up EARLY (6:30am) to see the sunrise. I was visiting a friend who lives on the ocean and I knew I wanted to take some pictures of the sun rising on the water. The weather was predicted to be clear so I knew the sky would offer a prime opportunity if I only got out of bed. So I did. The morning was colder than I expected and I was thankful to have my polar fleece PJs on to keep me warm. The ground was iced with frost that gilded the grass blades and tree branches. The path to the beach was frozen slightly and the edges of yesterdays footprints were erect in the cold sand. The water was a smooth pool resting on the shore. The sky had taken on a tinted hue but the sun had not yet appeared. For 15 minutes I wandered about the beach snapping pics of the rising sun. My fingers were chilled in the air but I didn't care. I had taken full advantage of that morning moment. And then I went back to bed.

...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh you're a true Mctaggart as we all like to sleep.. I used to get called the doremouse as I think you're mother did too ;) Love ya!
Funny thing is when I'm off.. or on vacation I'm up early early.. go figure..
Aunty A