Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Sex on Prom Night


My fave show ended its second season last night with the 2-hour "Grey's Anatomy" finale. After a strong run of fantastic episodes the show breaks for the summer on a decidedly weak note. A cliffhanger of "Who will Meredith choose" is just stupid at this point in the show. We all know she can't leave with Derek - his wife is waiting for him at the moment. And she hasn't been with Finn nearly long enough for us to root for him - especially when we know he's gonna get hurt eventually. So why set it up this way.

The final shot of Sunday's lead-up episode would have been an incredible ending. Burke bleeding in the parking lot. Izzie cutting Denny's IVAD cord. Meredith and Derek left gazing at each other in an elevator with no resolution in sight. THAT is a season ender!!!! And one that would have ignited a fan frenzy that might have ensured that "Grey's Anatomy" will be able to survive its new Thursday night challenge against "CSI". Yep, the nut cases at ABC have decided to move my beloved show to the most competitive night in TV and position it opposite the MOST-watched show on the air! WTF?! But I digress.

In truth I am disappointed with the finale. It was limp and long-winded and lacked much of the POP! (pun intended) that makes Greys SO good. As well, I have never been a fan of the Izzie/Dennie storyline and found her whole descent into "lovesick"ness to be a train wreck beyond belief. And then I had to suffer through a prom - ok, I get the highschool overtones of the show - but a prom in a hospital? Not so cool.

Good points?
Cristina - who made me SO angry with her fear and made me cry with her eventual support. Sandra Oh rocks this character.

Alex lifting Izzie out of Dennie's bed and offering her the words she needed.

The death of Doc (the dog). I've always found the dog to be the metaphor for Derek & Meredith's love especially in the last episodes. Thus, the act of "putting it down" really worked for me.

And the sex. Yes, I am one of the few watchers that found the sex hot and good. Yes, it was irresponsible and kinda dirty - but it was SO needed in the story of these two characters. People keep wanting them to be good - but the're just so messed up. What else would you expect from a women with guy issues and a man with trust issues. I think the writers were very honest in having them hook up - that heat-of-the-moment stuff happens when emotions are f**ked up. The challenge will be what happens next.

Ah yes, next ... gotta wait till next fall.

No comments: