Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Path to a Bear Soul

At the beginning of May that I decided to take a break from sugar. A break from the white stimulus. It is a toxin afterall. I decided to try and go an entire month with no junk food. No chocolate. No candies. But later this week - a full 18 days - I cracked. Also, in a conversation at work we discussed the "high" that shopping brings. And I reflected on my retail therapy process and the cycle it runs in my life. And then today I read my Rob Brezsny horoscope and it had this to say...

Excessive consumption of junk food has contributed to rising obesity levels in humans. Now wildlife experts report that bears are suffering a similar fate. The animals are so fond of the greasy, sugary scraps they scrounge that many are getting fat. The weight gain has had a surprising side effect: Many female bears are giving birth to three cubs at at time instead of one or two. You can draw metaphorical guidance from this vignette as your meditate on your own life, Pisces. Is there an instinctual part of you that has become overly fond of artificial sustenance and clever but worthless confections? It's high time to give the wild woman ... within you some gourmet soul food.

OH! and the totally appropriate graphic I found online is courtesy of Elizabeth Williams.

No comments: