Thursday, September 29, 2005

Volunteer Success

I began my volunteer position this week. I found out about an organization via the internet before moving to Halifax and I couldn't wait to start. It has been a long time since I've found an organization that really speaks to me. But, Dress for Success is fantastic.

The organization was created in the U.S. by a female law student who inherited some money and wanted to give back to the community. The primary goal of this non-profit organization is provide work-appropriate clothing for women attempting to re-integrate into the workforce. The aim is to erase the circle that many low-income women face of not having the "right" clothes to the get the "right" job. Without the job it is hard women to have the money to build a work wardrobe but it is a reality of the world today that often that job will ellude those who don't have the clothes in the beginning. Enter the suit program of Dress for Success.

I worked with my first client this week. I got to be her "personal shopper" and help to pick out an ensemble from the racks of donated clothes. It was one of the most uplifting moments of my life. To see this woman change into a stylish, confident professional was so heart-warming. I've always believed in the power of a great outfit. I would recommend this experience to anyone! DforS has Canadian chapters in Vancouver, Toronto and Halifax. You don't have to volunteer - but if you are from those areas and have work attire that you can get rid of (suits, skirts, blouses, tops, sweaters, shoes, etc) please help it make its way to a woman who needs it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, Raye, Dress for Success sounds like the PERFECT position for you!

How wonderful to feel like you're doing something workthwhile; something that makes someone else's life better.

Plus, that woman was lucky; I've always admired your sense of style.