Thursday, September 08, 2005

I am Not THAT person!!

Two days into my program - whew! I'm tired already. As it turns out, my first impression to my classmates was not made with my case analysis, my loud voice, my Ontario accent, or my overly sarcastic banter. I am known as the girl who missed her first class on her first day. Yes, forget professionalism and preparedness! It was completely unintentional but it happened nonetheless. Why did it happen?

Well, that is a result of a boat cruise evening the ended up at a local pub and my enjoyment of too many beers (J-man can start chuckling now). So to hell with responsibility. It was Tuesday night and I had a class the next day but lets keep drinking. I blame most of this on Colin and Tanya - two of my new colleagues - who were more than happy to keep the pace going as they had no commitments until 2pm the next day. (However, if you ask Colin he will completely deny any culpability.)

The result has been a friendly ribbing about the drinking episode and the determination of becoming THAT girl. Or perhaps, THAT person as not everyone in our friendly gang is a double X. We all know THAT person. The first to arrive, the last to leave, the instigator of shots, the good-timer, etc. So with our retreat weekend looming and a beachside bonfire event about to arrive, the evaluation for THAT person status is underway. Some may embrace the title. Others (like myself) are working to make sure it lands on someone else for the long term. As Jen explained: To be THAT person you have to have a commitment to the party and be conistent in your consumption (Paris is the ultimate THAT girl!). We think its gonna be Tanya in the end - and she's cool with it. But that first night will always be my contribution to getting the ball rolling (and Colin's never going to let me forget it).

No comments: