Saturday, September 24, 2005

The 100th Episode Comes Full Circle

I have just reached my 100th post! So, as is done in TVland, I offer up a cake of celebration for 100 episodes of Raye-ness on this site. Yay for me!

This "blogger" vesion of Raye of Sunshine was launched in February 2005. My original site (the one for which I learned html code all on my own!) was eaten by cyberspace and hosting service pirates in August of 2004. It was upon the urging (threats?) of Kat that I finally got my butt in gear and got my commentary back on the web. And the last 7 months have been brilliant.

I remember having a moment on NYE 2005 that inspired me to believe that this year was going to be a pivotal one. It had some bona fide "greats" built into it from the start: my 30th birthday, the arrival of my nephew, my university graduation - but the feeling was about something more broad. Most of the posts on this site have tracked those amazing moments and documented my roller-coaster thoughts on the journey. And I was right, this year (so far!) has been full of growth and a newfound understanding of myself. I admit, I am tragically behind in this regard and it appears that I must make some costly (time & money) missteps to figure out what is the "right" path - don't hold that against me.

The first post of this site was an exclamation of excitement over my acceptance into the MBA program at SMU. It's only fair that this 100th edition exclaim over some of the good that choice has brought. Today I spent the morning on an exquisite beach doing clean-up with my fellow students. It was one of our many community involvement initiatives. The sky was flawless and the ocean was gently slapping the white sand and smooth stones. It was so pretty. And, the activity made me realize how much I enjoy actually being outside on those rare occassions that I have something to get out and do. Well, those occassions aren't so "rare" anymore and that's a positive thing.

Then, I got to watch my first, live, varsity football game at my university It could not have been better (ok - the Huskies could have won!) and for 2.5 hours I was relaxed and in-the-moment. I sat in the stands in my maroom SMU hoodie and cheered, and sighed, and swore with the hometown crowd. I've been waiting for today for 7 months and it didn't disappoint. I know it sounds small, but it truly is the small things in life that give experiences their sparkle. Today, like so many moments this year, was full of sparkle.

No comments: