Sunday, September 11, 2005

Major
Beverage
Attraction


I am totally going to the right school. I chose a program that put an emphasis on collaboration and team work and, so far, it has paid off. I'm meeting some really amazing people. For the most part, classes have not begun yet. Instead, the incoming class spent the week doing orientation sessions and social activities. The week was ended with a 1.5day retreat to the southern shore and the lovely White Point Resort.

Although extremely tired from the previous days (and 7:30am departure time!), we all made it through our day of team-building exercises. Coming from a non-profit and experiential-learning background I noticed how different business groups are from the ones I worked with previously. It was a good lesson. The weather smiled on us and did not rain out our evening BBQ and campfire. Nothing like a oceanside sing-a-long to get the social juices flowing. One thing that never changes whether it be Katimavik, undergrad university, working for a restaurant, travelling or my current studies: people like their alcohol!

It didn't help that the quest to crown THAT person was on some our minds. As it turns out, Tanya did win the honours, which were solidified the next day upon our arrival to breakfast and the general greeting of "Tanya, you made it!" However, my social spot was also acknowledged by the program as our coordinator ensured that Tanya and myself were roomies. Our first order of business was to host a small pre-dinner drinks session on our balcony. Every group needs a social coordinator!

Now, with the fun and games behind us we can concentrate on things like sleep. At least until tomorrow when the grind truly begins. And for my part, I know I've got some good people on my side to share the ride.

No comments: