Friday, September 02, 2005

Don't Stop ... I Think I Love You Right Now Halifax

It has been one month since I landed on the eastern shore of our amazing country. It has been one of the best Augusts of my life, as Halifax has SO much to offer. Most notably, the city is ripe with cultural events that are easy on the wallet, joyful to experience, and ideal for a single individual such as myself. Here's a little review of the events I got to enjoy this summer...

...Outdoor screenings put on by the Alfrecso Filmfesto, a summer event of the Atlantic Film Festival.
August 5 - Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Arc
August 20 - Ferris Bueller's Day Off
I'm a HUGE fan of outside movie events. (Once, Nann and I even moved the couch into our backyard just to create our own "alfresco" cinema.) So, as a series of events on HFX's activity calendar it was a good fit. The films were projected onto the side of a building right on the waterfront. For a $5 donation, I got to sit on the boardwalk and watch two great 80s flicks as the evening wind blew in from the bay.

...Plays in the park put on by the Shakespeare by the Sea Company
August 6 - "The Merchant of Venice"
August 19 - "Pericles"
August 25 - "Robin Hood"
All the performances were presented outdoors in Point Pleasant Park. The park encompasses the southern tip of the city and is full of military ruins and wild growth trees. Unlike the production in Toronto with the fantastic staging, these performances are done on a small scale on the open grass. All were exceptional presentations. It amazes me that a group of actors would learn three plays at one time. The lead in Merchant was excellent - outstanding presence. That performance was almost rained out - but the company persevered. I didn't really like "Pericles" all that much - it was a bit choppy. Robin Hood was a matinee show and it was a blast. Full of stage-fighting and silly songs, the play used references from many Robin Hoods of the past with a little bit of Princess Bride thrown in. I'm SO glad that I brought my mini-chair for all these shows.

...Fire-eaters and Human Elastics at the Buskers Festival
August 11 - Wandered the waterfront that was full of street performers of all kinds. I love being able to hang out in the sunshine and be visually stimulated for hours.

And on top of that...
There was the opening performance of Closer at the Bus Stop Theatre, the Make Poverty History rally in the Halifax Commons, the pubbing at Pogue Fado with K-people, lots and lots of walks - everywhere, anywhere, and the purchase of a subscription to the Neptune Theatre. In order to continue my support of atlantic theatre, I made sure to get season tickets to the Neptune. They have an incredible student deal that gets me 6 plays (front row balcony seats!) for $130. I'm also looking into AFCOOP film workshops, SMU football games, and the Film Festival itself that begins in 13 days!
Whew ... how will I find time to study?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to visit you! I love cultural events!