Saturday, August 06, 2005

Road Tripping

It took 3 days and put almost 1500 kms on my little K-car. At times, the trip was beautiful. At others, it was downright coma-inducing. But in the end, my little caravan (one van and BERT) successfully navigated 4 provinces and found its way to the shore and my new home. The following are some pics from the journey (click on the images to see a bigger view).

This is my parents in Montreal. They are on the balcony at Nat's place. If it was not for them, I could never have made this move. They provided SO MUCH to the endeavour. I can not thank them enough.

A fun pic taken primarily for my grandfather's benefit as he mentioned this little town to me. It's unique name (exclamation points included!) has nothing to do with laughter, but rather form an old French word for unexpected barrier or dead end.

Our pitstop for the second leg of the journey was in Grand Falls/Grand Sault, New Brunswick. The gorge is the main attraction that slices right through the downtown. I had to share its impressiveness. We stumbled upon its existence by accident while we cruised back to our hotel. Sometimes you find amazing things without even trying.

Mom and me at the Nova Scotia border. This was the last day of travelling and the only day that rained. But it poured! I guess it's fitting that is should rain as you enter the maritimes. The air is naturally filled with water - it just happened to be soaking on this day. What a great sign, eh?

Me at the front entrance to the university. Saint Mary's was founded in 1802 but it didn't move to this site until the 1950s. My mom thinks its funny that I'm going to a school with a big cross on it since I'm so non-religious. Personally, I like the old buildings - they have an academic air.

A shot of the two main buildings in my life for the coming year. The highrise is my apartment residence - it looms over the campus completely, including the football/soccer stadium on the other side. The Sobey building is the home of the business programs.

This is the view from my bedroom window - don't hate me. I'm on the 20th floor and can see the expanse of the northwest arm of the bay and city below. I'm amazed at the greenness of the city - Halifax has put alot of effort into keeping things "green".

Not much else to say but I'm sure there will be fun East Coast updates and pictures to share in the future - stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hi Raye - glad to hear that you are safe and sound in Halifax :) It looks stunning!