Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Memorials

Today was the 60th Anniversary of the atomic strike on Nagasaki. In rememberance of the event a vigil was held to observe a moment of silence. I made my way to the library to partake in the moment. Sadly, the vigil was more of a mini-rally/info fair for various special interest groups and so I didnt't stay. (I went and got my library card instead.) I had been planning on going to the vigil since I had seen the notice. I missed the Peace Day activities (Saturday - the day Hiroshima was bombed) and was reminded of the vigil during a walk yesterday when I saw the "shadows" on the sidewalk. The shadow campaign is in its first year in Halifax and entails the painting of white body outlines on the sidewalks. My mother has an oft-recalled story about her first encounter with the shadows. Since hearing her tale, I ensure to walk AROUND the figures and face a mild disappointment when I see others walking over top of them. So today I skirted my way around the shadows to mark my observance of a horrific action. I've always wondered about the bombing of Japan that "ended" WWII and I can't help thinking that if Germany was the holdout, then there would have been no bombings. Either way, the purpose of Peace Day activities such as this is to fight for a nuclear arms - free world and that's a goal I support.

As I wandered back towards the university after my unsatisfying vigil, I came across the "Old Burying Ground". It is the oldest cemetary in Halifax and dates back to 1749. Approximately 12000 souls were interred in a space that measures about 1/4 of a city block but only a tenth of them have been marked. It is a captivating space. The dingy stones harken to a past age and an arch is topped with an Aslan-esque lion at the gate. The cemetary was actually completely restructured in the 1990s in order to repair damage to the grounds. It is a space that is calm and peaceful despite its proximity to the downtown core. I walked the path slowly from the present into the past and back again.

My last observance of the day was the fantastical quality of Halifax homes. Saint Mary's is situated in the south of the city and is surrouned by a historical neighbourhood. The homes are structured in a way that is completely different from Ontario. They have character. Much of their look is achieved through funky colours: blue, purple, green, teal, yellow, rose, magenta, olive, etc. and gable detailing (always in a contrasting colour!) Thanks to my friend Myriam, I understand the rationale for these details. It seems that many of the homes have been declared "historical properties" and the owners are paid to keep them in good shape. All the homes with the little plaques are bright landmarks and just seeing them makes me smile. Walking down the streets I also came across random stone pillars and fence posts from an age long gone. They have been maintained and outline properties that have been divided over time. The city has moved on but still remains in the warm embrace of memory.

No comments: