Monday, April 28, 2008

OMG! Ted & Barney Broke Up!

Not everyone I know watches TV like I do. That's fair. I understand. A lot of people have very busy lives and hours of TV watching just doesn't make sense. For me, TV has always been a bit of a staple on my agenda. And, as evidenced by this blog, has even been a consistent date on my calendar. Yes, I am one of those people that will plan things AROUND TV programs. Even in this age of downloading, I still enjoy the moment of deliberately sitting down to watch something ... on purpose. And, in a similar vein, I have not converted to downloading my TV archives. Thus, my bookshelf is full of actual boxsets rather than reams of disks. And one of the shows that has managed to retain status in both ways is "How I Met Your Mother".

I first mentioned the AWESOMENESS of HIMYM a couple of years ago. And, amazingly the show has maintained its momentum and continues to be a worthy diversion. I recently aquired the first two seasons on DVD and consumed them at a mad pace.
The Pineapple Incident - featuring a guest role by Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper people!!!).
Game Night - where the seattle-ness of the 90s is fully exposed.
Slap Bet - the greatest betting system ever and the introduction of Robin Sparkles.
Showdown - cause anything featuring "The Price is Right" is awesome!
It is addictive. And it makes me laugh. It makes me laugh out loud in my living room and joins the entertainment ranks of "Coupling" and "Arrested Development". It should not be denied.

Currently the show is in its third season. And admittedly, it was a challenge to catch all the Monday night episodes last fall. However, after the writer's stike the show returned last week with a comedic vengeance (80s pop referencing, Dawson Leery and Canadiana ALL in one episode). Then, tonight the show continued form by breaking up the friendship of two main characters. Intense. What a fabulous turn. I cannot wait for next week? What will we do without Barney in the mix? How will he redeem himself? What will everyone say to Ted? See ... addictive.

If that doesn't sell you it might be helpful to know that the show offers a TV version of the emerging comedy kingdom currently ruled by Judd Apatow. And while Judd has moved on from his TV activities ("Freaks & Geeks", "Undeclared") into the world of the big screen (40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up) his influence is still on HIMYM. The obvious link is the casting of Jason Segel who began on F&G, rules on HIMYM and is currently starring in Forgetting Sarah Marshall - written by Segel and produced by Apatow. Add to the mix the retro cache of Neil Patrick Harris, the cult lovability of Allyson Hannigan and a series of in-joke cameos and you can't go wrong. Seriously, try it.

2 comments:

Growing Opportunities said...

LOVE this show. And tell me you've never not shaved your legs before a night out, just so that you would have a reason not to do something you maybe shouldn't. I also think the slap-bet is hilarious. How many slaps are left, by the way?

Raye said...

Marshall used his last slap on Barney in the Thanksgiving episode this year (season 3) ... and the shaving thing = totally!