Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Monkey Do

Today I have to talk about one of the best restaurants in Halifax: The Wooden Monkey. The Wooden Monkey is located in a old corner building on the main social drag of downtown HFX. When I first moved here I had heard that it was a vegetarian restaurant and so ... I never went. I know that sounds bad, but that was the reason.

Then a new program year started at work and I was invited to go with a couple of co-workers to try the vegan nachos. They were excellent!!! And from that moment forward I became a fan of the monkey. I have been back rather consistently and I always try something new on the menu. That doesn't mean I don't have my favourite. The lamb burger is by far one of my favourite eats in the city. It comes with a mint-infused chevre spread that is to-die-for! It even has all my favourite micro-brew beers on the menu! (More exclamations points!!)

Tonight was another work event and I so I enjoyed another lamb burger. But I did try the organic blueberry pie. What a treat. Just a touch of maple syrup added to the field berries - the small ones - and a spelt crust. The same pie that Keith Richards demanded to have delivered backstage at last year's Rolling Stones concert. Thus, I was prompted to devote a few lines to this special Halifax place.

You can scope it out here: The Wooden Monkey.

No comments: