Thursday, December 15, 2005

Must See TV

I have discovered a new TV favourite. Just in time for the holidays, I have been granted the gift of a smart and funny sitcom. After "Grey's Anatomy" it is my favourite show. It's called "How I Met Your Mother" and it's a Monday night surprise that I hope makes it into multiple seasons without being dumbed-down or flashed-up.

According to CBS: HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER is a comedy about Ted (Josh Radnor) and how he fell in love. It all starts when Ted's best friend, Marshall (Jason Segal), drops the bombshell that he's going to propose to his long-time girlfriend, Lily (Alyson Hannigan), a kindergarten teacher. At that moment, Ted realizes that he had better get a move on if he too hopes to find true love. Helping him in his quest is Barney (Neil Patrick Harris), a friend with endless, sometimes outrageous opinions, a penchant for suits and a foolproof way to meet women. When Ted meets Robin (Cobie Smulders), he's sure it's love at first sight, but destiny may have something else in store. The series is narrated through flashbacks from the future.

I know, maybe you're thinking it sounds a little thin for a television show ... but look at "Friends". And remember when "Friends" was fresh? good? interesting? You know, that period form 94-96? Well, that's what this show is like now. I laugh SO hard watching it because it feels like I'm watching my life and the lives of my friends. A recent episode had the gang struggling to have THE GREATEST NYE EVER! but things keep going awry. The episode even includes repeated use of the opening line to Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name". The jokes are tailored specifically for my demographic. Those of us between 26 and 36 who are struggling to get our lives together.

One episode featured the recently-engaged Lily and Marshall attempting to be more "grown up" in their lives. Cause, you know, it's time they grew up! At this point I have to say how much Alyson Hannigan has always reminded me of my best friend. It is even scarier in this show where Lily might as well (in many respects - but not all) BE Natalie. The other characters in the show spend the episode at a club and play out the joke of reaching the point where a nightclub is suddenly VERY loud. When did that happen?

In all, I recommend the show to anyone who came of age in the 90s, has a sense of humour and is still trying to find out what life is all about.

No comments: