Thursday, May 01, 2008

Classic Grey

I am hesitant to proclaim that "Grey's Anatomy" is back lest I do so too early and I end up looking like a fool next week. But I am going to say it anyway - "Grey's is Back!". Tonight's episode left me satisfied in a way that I had not felt since the dying days of last season. So while the writer's strike may have hurt paycheques over the winter it offered instead a resurgence in storytelling. Or, maybe, it was just the return of Addison! Either way the show finally matched the mix of meat and sizzle that made it such a hearty favourite in the first place.

All the characters were in fine form and have even grown a little bit. Addison's revelation that Meredith and Derek have not endured was a great grounding touchstone for the show. Her presence also offered the necessary mirror to see the development of the tragic couple beyond a romantic fantasy. The frazzle-ment of Christina continued but finally received the necessary recognition that her potential greatness remains. George found his place and has recommenced the path of the young doctor that once operating on a heart in an elevator. Alex opened himself up to being a better man (sadly he's about to get trounced!) and Izzie found some strength (which I can only hope moves her character out of my Hate-on category for being such an medical moron!!) Lastly, Callie and McSteamy go to get it on - to remind us that even "gods" are weak and need refirmation, validation and hot sex sometimes. Grey's it at its best when the characters' flaws resonate with the audience and pivot the plot into new directions. The first half of this season was spinning its wheels. It is a joy to see them moving again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I'm very proud of all of you :)
Aunty A