Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My Feet are Bigger than you Think

Today I got a great link from a colleague that helps you to calculate your ecological footprint on the earth. It is a short quiz that helps you to identify your impact through food, shelter, mobility and service choices. Check it out and see what kind of mark you are leaving on the earth. My answers are below. My biggest impact? The amount of meat, poultry & dairy I consume in a day and where it comes from. Let me know how many planets you require!

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
FOOD 3.7
MOBILITY 0.5
SHELTER 0.7
GOODS/SERVICES 0.9
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 5.8

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 8.8 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.
WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.
IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 3.2 PLANETS.

3 comments:

Growing Opportunities said...

I think I overestimated a few things. I really thought I was doing better than this!

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES
FOOD 1.1
MOBILITY 1.4
SHELTER 2.1
GOODS/SERVICES 2.7
TOTAL FOOTPRINT 7.3

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 4.1 PLANETS.

Raye said...

It look like you totally overestimated your shelter space - I messed that up at first too and took up 7 planets! And your world travel flying would hurt your mobility score. But see how minimal your food score is compared to mine? Wow - go vegetarianism!

Anonymous said...

well, i WIN with 11.2 planets!
js