Friday, September 22, 2006

Island Wedding

I made my FIRST EVER trip to Prince Edward Island today to attend the beautiful marriage of this lovely gal. She was "fresh off the the island" when I met her 10 years ago so I feel it is only fitting that she be the reason that brings to that special place. Did you know PEI is only a quicki 4-hr jaunt (and $40 bridge toll) from Halifax?

Well, me and some of the other ladies (see below) took the road trip and made sure to enjoy ourselves. I know that people always talk about the red island soil (and it is red!) but I was more amazed by the glowing grass. The sun was beating down through puffy Simpsons-esque clouds and the grass was electric emerald in the light. We were on our way to Charlottetown and the road meandered through one big giant farm of land to get there.

We stopped in a the tiny town of Victory (by the sea) for lunch and what a magical detour it turned out to be. We had lunch at a small, eccentric cafe that served thyme pork roast with baked potato just like at home. And then we visited the chocolate shop for handmade sweets and delicious tea. I had to buy a tin of the house blend that is a soft mix of 3 black teas infused with peach and apricot. Needless to say, we arrived at our cabin much later than anticipated and had to prepare at a quick pace for the ceremony.

So the wedding? The wedding was wonderful. It was traditional and beautiful. I cried cause I am a total softie. The reception was a fun cocktail party that definately had some "scandalous" moments and expensive wine. But I got to do some dancing - including a twirl around the dancefloor with the groom himself. Then it was back to the cabin for more drinks (soooooo many drinks) and conversation. Thanks to my wonderful work family for the fantastic time. Must catch up on my sleep now!

No comments: