Monday, September 11, 2006

Do You Remember Where You Were?

I was shopping for furniture in Kitchener, ON to supply a project house. We ended up seeing the images on a TV in a Value Village of all places - surrounded by the gaudy (and early) racks of Halloween costumes. I remember hearing the news on the radio prior to any visuals and the impact it had to NOT be able to SEE it. To not be able to visualize it and it made me think about all those people listening to wars before television made everything feel like entertainment. And although I have my own (admittedly strong) conspiracy ideas about the whole incident I will cop to feeling a weird shudder of something everytime the phrase 9-11 is mentioned. It has definately become an iconic date.

2 comments:

dub said...

because you brought it up, i'm going to use this opportunity to inquire about a canadian's views on 9-11. as an american, 9-11 and everything that has transpired since has been the most frustrating and disappointing time for me in my country. do you think it has the same affect on you? do you feel safer because you're not in america? are you equally frustrated with america at this point? are you glad bush isn't your president?

Anonymous said...

As another Canadian, I can certainly answer yes to all of the above. But perhaps I feel less disappointment in America (which implies faith to begin with) than that stomach churning feeling of having your fears confirmed.

As opposed to capital A "America," I feel real sympathy for most Americans, even the most deluded ones. It's easy for us to have a bit of perspective because we're so used to thinking about how you see us. I'm sure we'd act the very same way if we suddenly became the big cheese.

Those of you who live in the big cheese and don't start to smell, well, you might just be worthy of more respect than any of us up here in the big fridge.

Cheers to you.