Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Hi fromYHZ

I am writing from the Halifax Airport via free WI-FI in the terminal. Being only mildly computer literate this experience is, admittedly, kind of cool! It is also a wonderful environment to express my frustration with my trip to Montreal this week. I think "the Fates" may actually be trying to keep me away and force me to deal with the pile of unfinished tasks on my desk at work. But I have triumphed (fingers crossed, knock on wood, hope nothing happens to a "falange" on the plane!) and I am on my way.

The story began yesterday morning when a combination of sleepiness and old-car syndrome conspired to cause my lateness at the terminal. After I was forced to wait in the line for the self-service ticket (a waste of 7.5 minutes behind an entire entourage of flying seniors getting private tutorials) I was rebuffed by the machine and sent to the ticket counter. By now I had 30 minutes before my flight so I was obviously stressed. And then I was informed that I would not be permitted to board my flight. Especially since I had to check my 1 bag (full of liquid personal care products) and I did not have time. So I broke into tears. Seriously. Not as an attempt to appeal to the ticketman's sensibilities. I was actually, really upset. I could not miss my flight. I had a meeting! It was my first visit to my organization's head office! I had ruined my first impression! What should I do! Well, compose myself would be the thing to do first but that didn't happen for a bit. I did arrange for a new flight and slunk back to the office to work. Sad and feeling stupid - two things I hate most.

Interestingly, it turned out to be a good thing I was in the office for the last two days as there were a number of things that I needed to address and I do feel better leaving with more accomplished. Sometimes it works out. And with that positive vibe I entered the airport tonight to get on my rescheduled flight. I was 90 minutes early. I confidently punched my booking number into the kiosk. And, what's this? - My request could not be processed and I had to see someone at the counter. And as the woman at the desk tried to find my "new" reservation in her computer she got more and more flustered. And then she had to leave and get some more information. And then she came back only to make a phone call while clearly hiding her conversation from me. I refused to get stressed. I hummed to myself. As it turns out, my booking number had already been used. My seat had already been assigned. Apparently, somehow, I had already checked in for this flight! Ummmm ... no. But a full 15 minutes later I had a boarding pass in hand and I was off.

So now I sit in the departure lounge waiting for the boarding call. It is late. The flights west are always late and I am going to be even more of an inconvenience to my bestest friend by arriving behind schedule. But I am getting on this plane! And I am getting to Montreal. And I am getting to my meeting. Fate be damned.

No comments: