Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Splitting Hairs

I got my hair cut this week. I know, not a really exciting blog topic. But the results are quite nice and I got to enjoy that "fresh-out-of-the-salon" feeling. I also get fabulous hair for two days. Then it becomes my styling issue and all the salon-goodness disappears.

Every woman understands the challenge of trying to get salon-done hair at home. So we (as a gender less-inclined to brush cuts) often resort to magazines to help us with tips, secrets and explanations on how to maintain our "best" looks. This prediliction extends, obviously, beyond hair care to a full array of beautification rituals. (Men really have NO idea! I don't subscribe to a 10th of the dictated grooming expectations and I feel overwhelmed sometimes.) My glossy of choice is In Style. The cover of which promised "56 Beauty Tips that Work" for the month of June.

My problem? There are limited stars and models that look like me. Now before you go all: "uh yeah, cause you're normal" - I'm not talking about height or weight or finances. I'm talking about basic colouring. There are very few celebrity (celebrated?) women who are dark brunettes with blue eyes. Think about it... The brunette beauties have brown eyes. The blue-eyed babes are blonde. So who can my beauty icons be? Which eye-candy ladies can I look to for style (lets not even get into why I care!).

A further frustration is the proliferation of once-brunette blues who have been blondified to success. Yes, these are women who naturally possess brown manes around lapis lenses but who have bleached, streaked, and highlighted that darkness away. This trend only signals an unspoken belief that brown and blue together do not make star beauty.

Well, lucky for me I have a couple of women who have the right look. And even better, none of them appear to be overly vacuous creatures!
Why? Because the pale brunette is the non-threatening girl that you never consider to be hot. She's your best friend. Your shoulder to cry on. She is never a temptress or a whore. She does, however, know how to "work it" at times. So I guess, in the end, that's a good thing. I just wish there were more of us. (Oh, and my new haircut? It looks pretty much like Courtney's ... but on me.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Am I a "non-threatening girl that you never consider to be hot"?

I think Alex will differ with you on that one. However, he is at a disadvantage because he loves me.

Although I suppose you could argue that I'm not pale enough to be "the best friend"? I have always felt that I was passed over as the brunette, however.

I did quite well as a blonde until it got, well, YELLOW.

Red was nice.

But you know what? I think I like my NATURAL BROWN?!