Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Fantastic Mr. Fox

"I remeber promising myself that should I live
I would prove myself deserving of life."

On this day, 24 years ago, at 4:35am, Terry Fox left our world. I wanted to take a moment to remember this incredible young man who's Marathon of Hope is celebrating its 25th Anniversary this summer. Terry Fox has always been an inspiration to me.

He was my pick for the "Greatest Canadian" because I can't think of him without getting weepy. His memory makes me cry for a number of reasons. First, I am blown away by his perseverence, commitment and strength. Second, I am moved by the tragedy of youth stolen at its prime (he was 22). Lastly, I am sometimes ashamed to think that I could never have his courage or determination in the face of such challenge.

For me, Terry Fox is a living memory. I was five years old during his Marathon and I distinctly remember the television coverage of his race. That moment when he dunked his leg in the salty Atlantic ocean and began his journey westward. I was living in Saskatchewan at the time, and I was waiting for his arrival in our part of the country. Sadly, it never arrived. Three years later, as my family drove the curving highway along Lake Superior, we stopped at the memorial statue outside Thunder Bay. If you have ever driven that particular highway, with its slow rolling hills, you can't help but be impressed at his accomplishment.

Recently, Douglas Coupland (one of my favourite authors btw) released a special memoire of Terry Fox. With the blessing of the family, the book is an intimate and moving portrait of the man. All royalties earned from the book's sales are being donated to the Terry Fox Foundation. I encourage everyone to pick up a copy.

No comments: