Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Where Did the Time Go?

In one week I will turn 35. I have yet to confirm how I feel about that. For the first time in awhile I have not put any energy into birthday celebration planning. Part of me is fine with this lack of result and many people around me comment that birthdays are not important, so, whatever. But I have always felt that birthdays ARE important. And certain birthdays feel more important than others for undefinable and completely arbitrary reasons.

I feel like 35 is supposed to be a meaningful birthday but I also can't seem to summon the energy to make it memorable. I keep thinking of the "Sex in the City" episode when Carrie turns 35. She finds herself sitting in a restaurant alone because everyone around her has a life that is too hectic to let them get to her. She has to pay for her own cake which she later drops all over her shoes in the middle of street construction. It is a sad birthday story about single-womanhood. Of course, Mr. Big shows up with a limo, balloons and champagne (in paper cups) at the end of it all.

I know my birthday is not going to be that depressing but it is on a Tuesday, and really, what can you do on a Tuesday? I will be home to be with my family and there will be cake (probably) and all will be well. But part of me keeps thinking I need to do something. So I thought I would commenorate my upcoming 35th birthday recounting some of my birthdays past - the ones I remember at least!

34th - Pub Time in Halifax. First birthday with my boyfriend who brought sparklers for my cake. Lots of Beer.

33rd - House party in Halifax. Also known as my birthday of shame for being drunkenly evil to all my friends and a total emotional gong-show. Fabulous cake courtesy of Anna. My first absinthe.

32nd - Dinner out at the Keg with my Mom in Toronto. The same Keg restaurant from my 16th birthday.

31st - A mellow evening at my residence romm followed by a night out in Halifax. Amanda did pretty make-up for me. Only four friends could come out but my favourite cover band was playing at the Pogue Fado so I got to dance plenty. An unexpected all-nighter!

30th - Shots at the Laurentian pub with my Commerce crew following an exceptionl presentation. Then home to sleep a bit before showing up - still drunk! - to ethics class. Further celebrations in Toronto. You can read about the whole weekend here.

27th - A small gathering of my Katimavik team (Anne, Jodi & Cindy) at my Katima-house. The participants were on billeting. They brought a cake. And gave me a beautiful bracelet of silver and paua shell (that I had picked out in Mexico with Jodi in January). I still have the bracelet.

25th - Found Labatt Blue at the convenience store in Melbourne, Australia and celebrated with Canadian beer! Continued on for pub Night whereI stepped on a shot glass while dancing and cut my foot open. I still have a tiny scar. Made out with a cute Scottish guy who was staying at the same hostel. Needless to say, that got awkward the next day!

22nd - Total drunkeness in Hinton, Alberta. Started with wings with all my staff friends at the local Boston Pizza. Then dancing. Then a party at me & Nann's place. I threw up - even on my teddy bear!

21st - A Katimavik birthday celebration. My group was living in a tiny town (Acton Vale) in Quebec. Julie and Laura made a HUGE ice cream cake that was frozen solid.

20th - A late party held after my failing out of university. It was a surprise party in Sudbury (thanks Nat, Chris, and Scott). My hair was blond.

19th - I had a house Party in Sudbury with no parents and I think I new five people there. Everyone else was my brother's friends. Then the lights went out. Then someone crank-called 911 and the cops showed up. It was a really snowy night and everyone left trucking down the street in ankle-deep snow.

18th - A random night out in Sudbury. We "snuck" into the bar "Backstreet" and Jennifer bought me a vodka & coke which tasted totally awful.

16th - Dinner at the Keg with my parents in Toronto. The waiters came by our table and sand "Ain't she Sweet".

13th - Just the girls for an afternoon of pitas, ice cream and cake. I had the absolute worst perm that I clipped back on one side. So tragic.

11th - Slumber party madness at our townhouse in Sudbury. My mom made a giant bed in the living room for us all to sleep on together. All us girls wore flannel pyjamas.

5th - We had an afternoon event at my family's farm in Saskatchewan. My birthday was on March break so the parents brought the kids over in the middle of the day. My friend Curtis could not come but his mom brought a present he picked out. It was a GIANT tube of lip gloss that smelled like banana.

1st - Of course I don't remember this one but there are cute pictures. It was the first time my mom brought me back to Ontario (from Saskatchewan) to be with her family. There were balloons.

3 comments:

Michelle M said...

This made me tear up Raye! You are just so wonderful. Your birthday is important! I hope that you decide to do something that you enjoy. I consider myself lucky to have celebrated your 33rd birthday with you (you really need to stop thinking that you were too emotional...clearly you haven't celebrated enough b-days with me!). I hope to celebrate more! Looking forward to seeing you when you visit in Ottawa!

Anonymous said...

I love you so much and I'm so so proud of you.. You inspire me to push myself and do well.. and go back to school.. I have everything done up I just have to take it up to the University and hand it in.. with shaking hands ha ha.. I hope you have a great day.. my 30s were so turbulent my own health issues.. grandma.. grandad.. *sigh* but I wouldn't have trade any of it in for anything! xoxoxo Aunty A :)

Anonymous said...

We totally wrecked your 19th birthday!

Your brother and I fled the scene when it got out of hand, and when we came back and the place had cleared, I recall it being an ugly sight.

Not one of our finest moments.