Monday, March 08, 2010

Oscar Fashion 2010

The Oscar race is as much a fashion race than anything else. That red carpet is one of the world's most watch runways and the ladies who stomp it do so with more conviction that most of the nominated performances. The day after is always flurry of reporting on Best/Worst Dressed and either list is acceptable if it gets your name flashing around the internet and printed in the glossies. I always find the fashion watching to be an enjoyable affair but the Canadian station never seem to have enough coverage to make it a true sport. Still, there are always a couple of ensembles that catch my eye and I comment on the here.

The Ones I Loved

Queen Latifah
was maybe my favourite of the night. The soft pink against her skin was divine and the bling was just right for the event. Love, love, loved it.

Cameron Diaz finally comes to the party with a proper hair-do and a shining example of evening wear. I can't believe she is on my list but it was so refreshing to see her truly glowing and event appropriate.

Yay for Gabourey Sidabe for showing up and rocking her curves. The colour is fantastic and the appliques hit the right notes on her figure. Thank goodness she didn't make the the big-girl bolero mistake of Jennifer Hudson.

And more pink! Who thought I would be so girly but this time it is perfectly suited to Anna Kendrick. This dress falls too perfectly for words and she manages too look sophisticated and relaxed at the same time. Well-played for a young lady at the big show.

The Ones I Loathed

Oh Miley Cyrus. You may be a hit with the tween crowd but you have much to learn about going out with the grown-ups. The first lesson might be that of wearing and actual TOP when you leave the house.

Sarah Jessica Parker continues her trend to be the least attractive clotheshorse on the red carpet. I just don't get it! This dress prompted my boyfriend to say: "It looks like a shower curtain with a wrestling belt attached to the top." What more can one say?

I know a lot of people might like Vera Farmiga's gown. It is Marchesa which is know for structual opulance but this ruffle-rama is too much for me. I also find the fitted curve on the one side to be completely unflattering in its obvious flatness. It is just too much and I can't even imagine how she sat in it for four hours in it!

I love Zoe Saldana and feel she was totally robbed for a supporting nomination this year (for either of her sci-fi films). But that doesn't mean she can show up in a, well, whatever this is. Too many things going on, a dangerously high slit and a ruffle balls on the hem? In fading colours no less? Seriously?

Of course there were many other fashion items to discuss but I just can't do it all. Yes, I skipped Sandra Bullock who I thougth might be wearing hair extensions her 'do was so luscious. And Meryl Streep who was rocking a white creation from a Project Runway contestent - how awesome is that. Or Helen Mirren who manages to be the most well-dressed dame in the world. The fact that Penelope Cruz managed to wear a dress that made HER look boxy! And that Jennifer Lopex showed up in a pink sofa with a wedding chapel pew marker attached to her hip. Finally, Kate Winslet - who has always won me over in the past - was less than radiant in a boring pewter corset and skirt set. Oh well, not everyone can be winner.

all images originally posted on http://www.americansuperstarmag.com/ via Rob Rowell/ABC

No comments: