Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Birthday Blog

Exactly one week ago I had my 30th birthday. So upon reflection, here are the highlights from the first week of being thirty...

Wednesday, March 16:
11:30am - Laurentian University
The day had arrived and normally I would do NOTHING on my actual birthday. By nothing I mean sleep till 2, watch 3 movies and eat all my favourite foods. Getting dressed would be optional. However, on this particular birthday I had an in class presentation with my Business Strategy group. We had to present an analysis of the diversification strategy and future direction of Tredegar Industries - fascinating, I know. But we nailed it! When the professor says you did an "excellent" job, you have to feel chuffed. First score of the day!

1pm - The Pub
Go for a beer after class - that was the plan. A small gathering to celebrate my birthday and the presentation victory. Well, cheers to Briguy and J-man for officially turning this into a shooter afternoon. 8 shots and 3 glasses of beer later...

Thursday, March 17:
5:45pm - The Pub
Yes, back again! Time for pitchers of beer (not green) with the boys from labour relations class and the professor. Nothing like liquid cereal for dinner.

7pm-Benders
St. Pat's party/fundraiser for a friend's school group. Lots of people to see. More beer. Good chance to wear my green, Irish-inspired earrings. Always need to find the fashion edge.

10:30pm-Georges
Time for T - friend extraordinaire! Got a lovely wristlet bag inscribed with "S is for Shopping". Thanks to J-man I get MORE shots - AGAIN! Who says I'm the one who's always putting on the pressure to drink?!!

Friday, March 18:
1am-Home
Presents from the family sitting on my bed. A card from my grandfather that made me cry. A copy of "The Incredibles"!! And an envelope of money from my parents. Have I ever said how much my parents rock?!!

Saturday, March 19:
5:45pm-Burger King
You know that there is nothing better than a juicy, mayo-soaked, reheated Whopper to start the evening. Cathy and I even had a 2for1 coupon! That's TWO Whoppers for $3.15!! I think we may have to establish Burger King as a pre-event tradition as we did the same thing before her welcome back party.

7pm-Cathy's Place
Mini fashion-show time. I have been planning my outfit for months and had slowly gathered all the elements (dress, boots, earrings). Cathy, is currently working through a wardrobe re-alignment so I brought a small sampling of my collection to doll her up. Totally fun. Must admit to being a tad jealous of how HOT she looks in my clothes.

9pm-Brasserie Frisco's
At the dinner place. Two martinis in and have to admit that the group of 12 I had planned for is not going to show up. The waiters start to dismantle my long table. Break it into little, serviceable pieces. I suddenly felt rejected and totally uncool - I can't even get friends to come to my birthday party! And then Scott walks in the door. And shortly afterward, Mike appears with his new woman. And its a Rye U nostalgia-fest. The goat's cheese dip arrives, more martinis and I get warmed up with food, raspberry vodka and friendship.

11:30pm-Therapy Lounge
Just beat the rush to bar. Actually get a table and some seating. A little crowded and the food-fueled sobriety means the party-edge has dwindled. But what a great space! Older, hot, stylin' crowd. Lots of Jagermeister and Red Bull being poured. Pounding dance and mainstream groove reverbing off the walls - totally my scene! More good conversation and some dancing.

Sunday, March 20:
1pm-Zupa's
Cathy and I do the downtown tour looking for a breakfast place. The line outside Cora's suggests that going brand-name is pointless. The hike to Marche is a litte too long. So we backtrack down to Peter St. and there, off to the side is Zupa's - a whole in the wall deli with all-day breakfast. Greetings from Leo-the Mustache Man. The tables have vinyl checked cloths. Soccer is on the television. The new-Canadian faces are welcoming behind the counter. And the plates are full and tasty. Me: scrambled eggs, sausages, real potato slice homefries, and toast. Cathy: french toast, bacon, fried bananas and fresh strawberries. As Cathy says: "you can taste the grease in the coffee". We've found our breakfast place.

3:30pm-My Brother's
Meet my nephew for the first time. Get to hold a little 10lb bundle of family future in my arms. Perfect. (Oh, and we ordered BP pizza too!)

Monday, March 21:
11am-Mississauga
Spent the night at my Uncle&Aunt's place. So nice to have family around that you can randomly crash with. Stayed up late watching cheesy romance movies on TBS. Then, a guilty pleasure of "Dawson's Creek" (Joey chooses Pacey and they sail away!) before heading back home.

Tuesday, March 22:
6pm-The Independent
Pick up my film full of birthday memories. And what's this? I shot the roll twice? All my prints are double-exposed? I have NO pictures of my birthday? This cannot be! And yet, it is.

Wednesday, March 23:
3pm-Home
A week later. The story is over. Lessons learned:
J-man likes drinks as much as me.
I can rock a hot dress and heeled boots.
My family loves me - a lot.
It's easier to lie about your age when you don't have the pics to prove otherwise ;)

No comments: