Monday, August 13, 2007

Coves + Capes = Good Times

One of the great things in the world is when things collide to be a good time without having to plan too much. I can sometimes over-plan! I was hoping to go camping - which caused me to cancel on a kayaking invite - but my throat had been bothering me and I was positive that sickness was on the horizon. So no plans were made but then the weekend just gelled together into a full and rewarding use of time. Friday was mellow and full of football which is always good.

Saturday started with work but that turned out to go well and quickly. I often find the office a productive place to be when noone else is around and Saturday allowed me to get some extra tasks completed. Once all the details were done I went down to the local theatre to catch Becoming Jane - a romantic tale based on the life of Jane Austin. Two tear-filled hours of tragic romance later I was back in the sunshine. With clear skies above me I took off to Peggy's Cove with hopes of taking some decent pictures of the sunset. I must confess to loving Peggy's Cove now. It has become my personal retreat when I want to go somewhere to think and just soak up the sea air.

...

...

Fish'n'chips for dinner and an hour of fading sun later left me some great shots and full of energy. What to do with that energy? Time to go for a beer. So a social drink with some co-workers tunred into a 4am-night at the Alehouse (it has been ages!). Needless to say, I was feeling a little bit rough the next morning. But I had a little plan in the back of my brain to finally visit Cape Split and I wasn't going to flake out. So I got my awesome car started and drove the hour to the valley to begin my scenic trek. I began by taking some pictures along the shore because the views were excellent. But that meant that I missed the actual trail head and ended up on a more "rustic" path. This path led me to a convoluted mix of trails through the wilds of the penninsula. I got scratched by raspberry bushes, thrashed through overgrown brush, got stuck on the wrong side of a ravine, and had a genuine "where the hell am I" moment only twice! I think this is the downside of hiking alone - you end up in the middle of nowhere with only the partridges to talk to! Eventually I found the path - and ACTUAL path - and got my way to the point. What an incredible place.

...

...

After my random trekking it was marvelous to walk into the open grass, see the sun sparkles on the sea, listen to the gulls, and try to take pictures of the rock formations without falling off the cliffs! A full and fabulous afternoon. After it all, my body tired and sore (hiking hungover is not recommended) I drove home in time to watch my favourite cheesy show "Instant Star". What a brilliant weekend.

No comments: