Saturday, November 11, 2006

Lest We Forget

I was listening to the radio yesterday morning and there was a four-question quiz about Canada's war history. The four questions are:

1 - Which of the following are Canadian War heroes:
Billy Bishop
Ulysses Grant
Arthur Currie
Douglas Macarthur

2 - John McCrae wrote a poem that has become the definitive WWI memorial - what is it called?

3 - Canada's first major victory in WWI took place on what ridge?

4 - What war was instrumental in changing the roles of women and moving towards womens' right to vote?

Apparantly, 60% of Canadians (and the numbers are higher for young Canadians) fail this quiz. That is really sad and it makes me wonder about the state of Remembrance in our country. For my generation the link is clear through our grandparents. But how is sacrifice remembered for those new generations that do not have a living familial connection to the events? It is a challenge.

That is why I am very impressed with the current Remembrance Day notice put together by the Canadian government for this year. I saw it for the first time on TV last weekend and I knew I wanted to grab a copy for today's blog. Take a moment of silence today and watch it below.


Quiz Answers: 1 - Billy Bishop & Arthur Currie ... 2 - In Flanders Fields ... 3 - Vimy Ridge ... 4 - World War One (BTW - I got 100%!)

No comments: