Thursday, April 21, 2005

Plus One Perfection

For the first time in my life, I got to be somebody's "Plus One". This title means that I was a guest of someone who was a guest elsewhere. The title implies two things: I am going to an event and the person I'm with doesn't have a date.

The event is question was the David Usher concert. My date? Beth. In a stroke of last-minute serendipity, tickets to the sold out concert became available and J-man offered them to Beth. In a move of great friendship, she offered the other ticket to me. When we arrived at the concert, Beth was found on the Guest List with a "+ 1" beside her name. I AM the +1. And it couldn't have been a better opportunity. The concert was excellent with David Usher's wonderful voice resounding richly in the small venue. It was intimate and rocking at the same time.

My first David Usher experience came with the Ryerson frosh concert in 1994 when he was just emerging on the music scene as the frontman for Moist. Ahhhh, Moist - one of the nostalgic bands of that first year of university. Even then, it was David's haunting voice that carried the music to new levels. The man has power that echoes effortlessly.

My next experience was among the giant throng of people assembled for his show on Parliament Hill for Canada Day 2002. Even from across the entire lawn he was mesmerizing. The man can rock a pair of jeans like nobody's business. I promptly went out and bought "Morning Orbit" on that presentation alone.

So that brings us up to date. Last night's show was the best $20 I've spent all year. A solid performance of new and vintage material. Exceptional backing from a tight group featuring guitar, drums, keyboard and electric violin. His vocals, as always, are pitch perfect to his recorded sound and even more evocative in their live incarnation. The jeans are still impeccable. The tight Tshirt and nice arms are new additions. The gold wedding band is a sexy statement for a rock star. He was personable and fun-loving with the crowd and the time passed much too quickly - even with two encores.

If all invitations are so satisfying, I'll be Beth's +1 anyday!

1 comment:

Kat said...

He is totally hot. My boss knows him...sez he is a bit "odd".