Sunday, April 10, 2005

I'll Give You 3 Million Brain Cells for that Memory

The last pub night of the year (and of my time at this particular university) was a staggering success Saturday evening. Frankly, I am surprised that I remember it all. WOW! I really drank a lot ... and fast.

It all started in a residence room with two friends and a half-mickey of rye. With only 45 minutes of drinking time available it was a ginger-infused boat race. Nothing like getting to the bar already drunk. Time to bring on the pitchers! Sometimes beer is the easiest thing in the world to drink. And rotating rounds of Rickards' Pale, ensured that I got at least a pitcher X 1.5 into my system.

The real joy of the evening was that the bar was filled with people I know. There were conversation opportunities around every corner. Commerce kids dominated the foosball table. It was a perfect chance to get visual good byes of past group members, that soccer boy, the cute curling kid, hot bar staff, random acquaintances, and fun friends.

The flip-side of that joy was the sad, drunken moments that I wish I could erase. Like smearing lip gloss all over my face. Or, tripping on my pant hem and falling against the pool table. Or, lying down in a friend's lap during the ride home because I couldn't be bothered to be vertical. And, finally making pathetic attempts to type once at home thus revealling that the new mantra is "Don't Drink and MSN". Yes, the reality of a fantastically drunk Raye is not always pretty - and up until midnight I had been handling my alcohol so well.

In the end, I have to give thanks to SS for actually initiating the evening. It never really occurred to me to go to the Pub and I wasn't even sure I would stay. But all the pieces of a last blast fell into place and the night was exactly what it was supposed to be. Cheers!

No comments: