Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Turnovers & Interceptions & Safties ... Oh My!

My CFL season has finally begun. Although the actual season began a month ago, I finally got to watch a game. And a live one at that! It has been 3 years sice I have gotten to watch the gridiron live. My delay in the televised version is attributed to my recent move that means:
1 - being quite busy with visiting and evening activities
2 - no longer having TSN in the house to my link to live broadcasts is gone

However, the move to Toronto has also brought a benefit that has been unavailable to me for over 10 years - access to a CFL franchise! Hurrah! I say. And so, without any question, I bought a ticket to the home opener of the Toronto Argonauts. To my great pleasure the first at-home opponent was my favourite team: the Calgary Stampeders. Touchdown for me. A live game featuring my favourite team and my new hometown team. What a treat.


I went to the game alone. CFL-fandom can be a lonely place and finding fellow fans is not the easiest. But I was not to be deterred. My seat was perfect. I was nestled in a stadium pocket on the 20-yard-line and only 3 rows back from the field. It was definately the closest to the action I have ever been and it only cost $30! (Plus the popcorn and water for $11. I abstained from the beer which was over $10 a can!)


It was a perfect night night with a clear sky and late evening sun shining down into the Rogers Centre's open roof. The CN Tower loomed over head with an all-encompassing view of the proceedings. The stadium was randomly full with the more expensive sections only containing a smattering of viewers. This reality makes me sad. Empty stadium seats are a sore sight for a true fan's eyes. But my little section was crammed full and the seat beside me was taken by an energetc Argos fan who was more than willing to share a bit of rivalry throughout the game. There we were, two ladies out alone for a game of football. Who says this is a man's game?


OK, so the field is full of men. Mighty professional football men including lots of the players I have been watching over the past couple of years on TV. What a great experience to see them - for realz! - on the turf. I would like to say that the evening ended with a win for my team but I guess I can't have everything. A tie game developed into a Stampeders lead only to devolve into back-n-forth turnovers and intercpetions that produced an Argos victory in the end.


Like any football game it was the details that mattered. The Stampeders gave away safety points that would allow the Argos to topple with fewing scoring drives. A couple of strong red zone holds by the defenses kept each team from scoring. Both Burris and Lemon were sacked. These are the elements that make fans tear their hair out. With just over a minute left Calgary would receive a gift to re-do a play after a reversed interception call. The chance was a failure and the Argonauts would seal their fate as the evening's winners. For my part, I felt like a winner just being there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! If I was there I would have gone with you! :) Aunty A