Thursday, July 22, 2010

Full of Life

My garden continues to amaze me. After another month all of the plants have grown immensely. I have learned alot about how much a plant can grow and am glad to have my mom (and some friends) give me planting and pruning advice. I had no idea when I planted the small stocks of vegetables and herbs that they would develop into such immense greenery and abundant tastiness. We have harvested 3 zucchinis so far and are on our third pass at the lettuce patch.

Earth laughs in flower
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If I had known so much growth was on its way I would have shortened the flower bed section of the back yard and extended the vegetable garden. As it is now, it has gotten a bit squished. The space crunch is largely due to the tomato plants that have become leafy behemoths! They are taller than me! We have five solid stocks in the ground: two with regular tomatoes and three with cherry tomato clusters. I have had to add bracket bamboo sticks - TWICE! - to keep up with the growth of these plants. Now we have many green balls of goodness on the way and even more flowers sprouting.

"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato."
Lewis Grizzard

My three cucumber plants had worked their way into a tangled mound. Their tendrils were pulling the plants out of the bed and across the lawn. I put together a small lattice (that needs to be reinforced already!) for the plants to climb. There are many flowers but the cucumbers are only just beginning. My mother has already harvested some chunky green tubes from her garden so I wonder why mine are so slow. But my fingers are crossed that they will prosper in the end.

"To see cucumbers in a dream denotes that you will speedily fall in love. Or, if you are in love, then you will marry the object of your affection."
Richard Folkard in 'Plant Lore' (1884)

The herbs exploded so fast we did not get the chance to take advantage of them all. Sadly, I missed out on using the full, leafy coriander. It has now gone to seed, but I am hopefull that a resurgence may arrive late this season. The dill is in full flower and the basil has gradrupled in size. I am looking forward to making a succulent basil, tomato and mozza salad in the next week. I will be taking some time to trim the herbs and set them out for drying this weekend. Then we can enjoy the sage, thyme, chives, et al. in the darker seasons. Afterall, isn't that what growing for yourself is all about?

If you've never experienced the joy of accomplishing more than you can imagine, plant a garden.
Robert Brault



No comments: