Tuesday, July 06, 2010

QE2

The Queen's visit to Canada arrived in Toronto today. Thanks to my job with the provincial public service I was apprised of her visit time and able to go stand among the throng to watch her pass by. I figured it was worth the attempt since the opportunity will likely not occur again. It was a VERY hot day and, sadly, The Queen chose to walk down the path opposite from my side so I only got to see her back for the most part.



I do wish I had the chance to see her face to some degree. If for no other reason than to be able to see her hat better as it appears adorned with some kind of fantastic squiggle! And yet, it was an intriguing hour in my life all the same. I am not a royal watcher but I have spent my whole life living in a commonwealth country and to actually SEE the women whose face graces our currency was a chance to be taken my lifetime. The vision of her made me think about the woman behind the title. So I looked her up to discover:
She was born in 1926.
She was only 26 when she became the Head of the Commonwealth.
She fell in love with Prince Philip when she was 13. They were married in 1947 (He was also at the walkabout I attended but I didn't get a photo of him).
She is the third longest reigning monarch in British history at over 58 years - and counting! - on the throne.

No comments: