Monday, July 12, 2010

Sing Me a Song

This weekend I took my boyfriend "home" to partake in a family tradition. We braved the Friday night vacation traffic out of the city en route to northern Ontario where the Northern Lights Festival Boreal was holding its 39th annual folk festival.


Since the festival's inception, my family has been a part of its development and operation. We have served as volunteers, event coordinators, board members and even paid staff. In 1991 my family was honoured, en masse, with the volunteer appreciation award. However, in the last few years our contribution has lessened as we have moved away, found demanding jobs, started families, gotten older and we have left the festival work to others.

As paying guests, my family has visited the festival in a changing collection of pairs and groups depending on who was available for the second week in July. this year became special because, for no real reason, everyone was available and everyone was making the trek to the festival grounds (okay, 97% of us!). Some of us were there for a couple of hours. Some made it to every hour of programming they could. But for all of us the festival formed a nexus point for the family to reconnect. For me it was a chance to introduce the festival to my boyfriend (who, thankfully, enjoys festivals) and to once again share the event with my Mom (who gave me my festival passion in the first place).

Of course the event offers exposure to great independent Canadian music in the folk tradition. Below are some of the talented Canadian acts I had the privilege to see and would totally recommend.


Amelia Curran
I saw Amelia Curran for the first time last summer at Stanfest - the famous Nova Scotia folk festival. Immediately she caught my attention. Since then her star has risen across the country and in April she won a Juno for best roots traditional solo album. For an introduction, check out her song "The Mistress". It is her most prolific song for sure but it was the one that hooked me and hopefully it will capture you too!

Faye Blais
I discovered Faye in the women's acoustic workshop over the weekend and fell in love with her voice. She sounds a bit like Norah Jones crossed with Feist. The next day she had a private concert and won me over again.


The Sadies & Matt Foy
You would think that after living on the east coast for 4 years I would have gone to see The Sadies. Well, ummmm, no. You would also think that after spending my youth in Sudbury that I would have seen musical jack-of-all-trades Matt Foy at some point. Ah, well, uh-uh. So I had to check it out when the group and the artist were paired up to play an homage workshop to "Big Daddy Roth and Link Wray" (ahhh, who? music gurus to the surf sound and power chord instrument - I looked it up!) It was loud. It was groovin'. It was the best workshop I saw all weekend.


Danny Michel
I have been hearing about Danny Michel since 1998 when one my Katimavik colleagues talked about him endlessly! Still, I had never had the opportunity to hear this poetic musician for myself until this weekend. What a treat. Solo, in a late afternoon show, he braved the heat to deliver a wonderful performance of songs and stories that make are catchy and sweet. He is also very easy on the eyes! Even my boyfriend liked him and my mom immediately skipped off to the merchandise tent to buy his CDs. He will be in Toronto in October doing shows at the Glenn Gould theatre if you want to check him out.


Cuff the Duke
I have been trying to see Cuff the Duke for a few years but I never got the opportunity. Just my luck then that they were the headliners for the festival's Sunday night show. Of course by Sunday evening I was sun-baked, over-visited and cold-cidred into a sleepy daze and I didn't want to go out anywhere. Thankfully, my boyfriend made me go out. He knew what was best. What I really wanted to do. And it ended the festival weekend on a fantastic note.

No comments: