Friday, May 18, 2007

End of Greys

What? You didn't seriously think I would let the end of Season 3 go by without any comment did you? Yesterday was essentially a waiting game for the final episode of my favourite show. And I was not the only one. Everywhere I went there was buzz about it. You have got to hand it to Shonda Rimes and ABC - they have made a true winner. And although I have not been loving this season as much as others I was hoping for a strong finish. I was also hoping for Burke & Cristina to get married. Well, one out of two ain't bad.

So the season ended well in my perspective. I continue to be amazed with how much the show crams into an hour. I love the fact that I can look at the clock and go, wow! there is still 20 minutes left! and I don't feel ripped-off for the first 40. And so it was with the final hour (plus bonus 15 mins!). We are left with a sad state of affairs in Seattle and yet it feels right. The dust will settle over the summer and the show will return with a new lease on life. And I think that point was made clearly. Everyone must start again. Nothing is dragging across the seasonal line. Everyone is in a new place and must reevaluate who they are. New beginnings are always good and they do wonders for show. So exicted for next year? You bet!

First I have to say if Sandra Oh doesn't win another Emmy or Golden Globe or whatever for her work in the episode then there is something wrong. She was incredible. What a fantastic way to bring her character's journey to a gut-wrenching end and she nailed every moment of it. I was truly hoping the marriage would go through. But when Burke explained why it had to end there was no room to argue. He was right. And I realized that once again, I AM Meredith and my desire for the wedding was driven by a want for the good couple to have the good ending. But Greys' strength is in the flaws of people and this episode excelled in that department.

So in that vein we have Callie suggesting a band-aid baby and Izzie pleading for her romanticism to be justified, Alex letting Ava go and Meredith just unable to love Derek back. All these people are flailing about and it makes for great television and wonderful characters.

The full-circle elements were a good touch. The entry of the new interns shows that the arc for the last 3 seasons is closed. But the symmetry is there. George witnessed the new team and meets a Grey. And that Grey is the same girl that Derek flirted with the night before. And if you recall that is how Season 1 opened - with Meredith meeting Derek at the bar the night before her internship started and then meeting George in the lockerroom. But Derek did not go home with Lexie because he loves Meredith. And George was not inspired by Lexie because he has grown beyond that kind of infatuation. That particular circle is closed. Time for a new one to begin.