Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My Mouse is DEAD!

A few months ago a little mouse made an appearance in my apartment. He liked to scurry behind my television unit and disappear into the base board heater. Some nights I could hear him running along the wall. I found the appearance of this rodent to be interesting because I live on the 20th floor of an institutional-style building. There are very few creature comforts for a mouse. This week I came home to find a notice from the residence department on my counter. They had entered my apartment for "pest control". I knew they were talking about my sometime visitor even though I had never reported his presence. And then tonight I came home to find a present on my kitchen floor - actually my toe nudged a fuzzy package in the dark. There was my mouse, dead, rigid, cutely killed on my red tile floor. I was instantly sad for it. Yes, it is a rodent with potentially nasty health implications but it is also a tiny creature with little black eyes, soft fur, big ears and sweet whiskers. And here it is - dead - on my floor. I think there is something so sad, so humanly superior, in having to pick up a dead mouse by the tail and drop it in the trash. So I decided to immortalize it here. I am inspired by the symmetry of my mousey visitor meeting its end during my last week here. Good bye little guy.

1 comment:

one of the McTs said...

*sniff sniff* Hail to the Mousey! ;) Aunty A xox0