Monday, July 25, 2005

For Shoe!

"I like my money where I can see it ... hanging in my closet." - Carrie Bradshaw
These days I'm spending most of my hours packing my life into boxes and bags. The big transportation sequence begins this weekend and I only have the space afforded by a mini-van and a K-car to haul it all. The challenge? My closet. The culprit? My shoes. You see, shoes are a pain to pack (just as they are a pain to store, and occassionally a pain to wear) because they are not compact like my jersey dresses or damage-immune like my jeans. Shoes need room if you want to keep them remarkable.

At the moment I possess:
9 pairs of flip-flops (in varying degrees of casualness)
5 pairs of boots (in different heights)
7 pairs of black dress and/or business high heels
3 pairs of "cute" running shoes (including a red pair of Converse)
6 pairs of summer pumps (as in - open-toed and fun coloured)
5 pairs of random shoes for random occassions and activities (ie: athletic sandals)
Total? 35 pairs of shoes
At an average cost of $35 bucks a pair (yeah, I'm cheap) that's $1225, or about the same as my new laptop. Hmmmm - are we sure shoes aren't considered assets?

But is this amount high? Low? Average? I don't think you can determine it using a concrete figure. The damage is assessed using the "percentage of earning power" tactic. Therefore, any woman's preference (Payless or Manolo) and pocketbook (princess to pauper) can be compared. Currently, my collection represents about 8% of my income. What about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have to factor in the 'benefit' that the shoes can provide.

ie: you wore those shoes to your job inteview. Had you gone barefoot , really where would you be?

Perhaps you use your athetic sandles to be athetic as opposed to spending thousands of dollars on a gym membership .

I can think of so many more justifications.

FYI - I have ...
6 pairs of running shoes
3 pairs of sneakers
4 pair of black dress shoes.
3 pair of slip on Loafers
3 pair of boots
2 pair of cowboy boots
4 pair of Birkenstocks
1 pair red dress shoes
1 pair of beige dress shoes
1 pair brown dress shoes
2 pair of blue dress shoes
5 pair of misc.

:-)

Raye said...

YES! The benefits of the shoes. Of course this must be added to the equation - but then it would be become all algebra-like or something.
Nice to see someone else is in the 30s for # of pairs. I wonder if this is an average for women?

Anonymous said...

Raye, are you speaking in code? Or is it possible that anyones life could be this empty? Look around you at the opportunities for meaning. Help us all and yourself. Good Luck!

Raye said...

wow - not sure how to take that. I wasn't trying to make a "statement" or speak in any hidden terms. I just like shoes.