Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Be Cause

So today I'm perusing Salon.com and the day pass advertisement is for an organization in the States pushing to maintain abortion rights for women. (In case you didn't know, there is going to be an upcoming vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court and the current support for abortion may be overturned if a new justice is not in favour and the legislation is reviewed.) This issue was also one that was heavily promoted during the last U.S. election and I mention it here because it is one of the causes (as a women's issue) for which I would likely fight.

To be blunt, there are very few things in the world that would get me on the street. I was not part of the tuition-freeze rallies in the 1990s. I have not been involved in advocacy for any organization. My charity/cause commitments ended about the time I stopped reading for MS in gradeschool and jumping rope for hearts in highschool.

This is not to say that I don't believe in supporting causes. I proudly get my poppy every November and white ribbon each December. I carry an organ donation card in my wallet. I donate blood whenever I am able (which is actually less than I would like). I gladly signed the petition to MPs about same-sex marriage. However, I have not truly curbed my buying habits or donated from my own "western-sized" pockets to any great degree. But if someone were to take away my option for abortion, I know I would have something to say. How I would say it, is another question.

I spent the holiday weekend with my gal-pals Jodi & Cindy - both of whom have recently returned from nations with development concerns. The ubiquitous "Live Strong" yellow bracelet was new to them. The fact that the silicone circles have become a de rigeur accessory prompted discussion about awareness in general. As Cindy pointed out, the wristbands are easier to wear than the ribbons. So have ribbon campaigns officially been out-moded as the medium of cause messages?

Almost EVERY cause has its own bracelet at the moment. The rainbow has been conveniently categorized into bright bangles for almost anyone (with the cancers reigning supreme). A brief overiew...

Black = anti-charity & "ThinkGeek"
B&W = "Stand up & Speak Up" end racism campaign
Blue = Drunk-driving (CDN & US) & Beat Bullying (UK)
Dark Blue = Anti-smoking, child abuse, colon cancer & peace
Lite Blue = Autism & prostate cancer
Blue & White = Tsunami Relief
Green = Army, ecology, pro-hunting, kidney disease, cannibas legalization, organ donation, ovarian cancer & tsunami relief (like the most schizophrenic bracelet available!)
Lavender = Epilepsy
Orange = Leukemia & Self-harm
Pink = Breast & youth cancers
Dark Pink = Diabetes
Purple = CARE/Borders (poverty & literacy), domestic violence, kidney disease
Rainbow = Gay pride
Red = Heart research, child abuse, christian, blood donation
White = "Make Poverty History" campaign
Yellow = "Live Strong" campaing, testicular cancer

It dawned on me during my 5 hours of Live 8 concert watching, that the "Make Poverty History" bracelet is something I would wear. Breast cancer, anti-smoking, literacy, and domestic violence are also issues I would address (putting me at 4 different bracelets and at risk of a retro-80s rubber bangle breakout). But really, is showing support all that valuable? How about actually SUPPORTING? For me, it's the difference between liking kids and being a parent - the former is a only a comment, the latter a true commitment ... one that I haven't made yet.

No comments: