Sunday, July 24, 2005

BBQ Goes Best with a Couple of Buds

It takes me a long time to make friends. I'm sort of a "friendship procrastinator" in the way the I put-off making friends until they (or I) am about to leave. It's a nasty habit! I've also been know to make poor first impressions with some friends - Daver being a prime example who admitted to actually disliking me "in the beginning". However, once I become friends with people I work very hard to keep them and my life is richer for them.

Yesterday Beth held a BBQ. It was a farewell thing for me as well as a "redo" for BBQ that got nixed by rain in May. The weather was perfect and it was a great event. Our gatherings tend to centre on a specific group of people (shout out to wings regulars!) and those in attendance were the core. As a group we are sure to have good laughs, sarcastic teasing, sexual frankness (thanks Beth!) and life vs. business debates (my bad!). Add a cooler of beer and things can go for hours. As was the case yesterday when we finally wrapped up the "evening" at 5am! Beth swears that she isn't a good hostess - but this is a total lie. It is also irrelevant because she makes orgasmic frozen-peanut-butter pie and divine taco salad. She could probably light her guests on fire and as long as she served them salad and pie (in particular Jman) they would be happy campers.

I consider myself lucky to have built fantastic friendship circles from so many of my experiences: the highschool gals, the Katimavik hags, the Sydney crew, the Ryerson gang. I only hope that my MBA colleauges are half as awesome. And I'll try to be friendly sooner rather than later!

No comments: