Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Full Day at the TIFF Red Carpet

It is the third day of the Toronto International Film Festival. It's a Saturday and I am going to spend the day trying to get a good red carpet view of some very famous stars. I have never done anything like this before. I admit to being a bit of a star struck movie gal but being a crazy, screaming fan girl has never really been my style. I have no idea how long in advance I have to arrive but I am going to make a full day out it just to be sure. I'm going to head to Roy Thomson Hall - site for three gala presentations on Saturday.

1:30pm
I arrive at the west side of Roy Thomson Hall, late for the afternoon carpet of Pretty White Lies. It is a French film staring Marion Cotillard (Inception Oscar winner for La Vie en Rose) and even though I missed the action it appears she was kind to the early birds.


The earliest fans showed up at 9am! The group congregates across from the red carpet tent. A digital clock in the background counts down to 5pm. It is for a Bell promo but also a reminder of how long before the 6pm arrival of the next set of movie stars.


5:15pm
The photographers arrive for the first round of "talent". The early gala is for The Conspirator. A civil-war period film that chronicles the Lincoln assassination. It is directed by Robert Redford and arrived at TIFF without a confirmed distribution deal.



6pm
The first to arrive is actress Alexis Bledel ("Gilmore Girls", Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants)


What a lovely young lady.


The director - and movie icon - arrives next. What an amazing opportunity to see a Hollywood legend in real life. He shies away from the fan lines and heads straight to the red carpet.


The best crags in the business. Robert Redford! (If you don't know any of his credits you should be ashamed - all hail the Sundance Kid!)


Justin Long shows up to fandemonium. Screaming girls echo in the evening air for his lank-hairness. He is energetic and engaging. He tries to sign as many autographs as he can but is ultimately pulled away by "his people".


Kevin Kline (A Fish Called Wanda, In & Out) arrives and dislays some quirky greetings and silly expressions.


James McAvoy (Atonement, Wanted) makes many fans happy.


And oh those blue eyes up close.


Robin Wright (Forrest Gump, State of Play) is amazing.



How can you not love her. She truly radiates. I cannot believe that I get to be this close to the Princess Bride herself!


8pm
The evening arrives. The lights come on for the red carpet. The pictures will not be so clear now. Too much light interference. I don't know how my little point-and-shoot is going to handle the motion in the increasing dark. The gala for The Town is on for 9:30pm. Ben Affleck's second kick at the director can and one of the most buzzed about flicks of the season. I've been out on the concrete for 8 hours. But I am just stoked to be here and I know that the big boys are coming out to play next!


Some Twilight flavour in the twilight of Saturday. The beautiful red-headed Rachelle Lefevre flashes a smile. I was disappointed that she was nixed as Victoria in the teen vampire flicks but nice to see the Canadian gal at a big event.


Chris Cooper (American Beauty, The Bourne Identity) is the first to arrive. He is kind to all and give warmth to the crowd. As an established character actor it is nice to see such a distinquished performer in a relaxed real state.


8:55pm
Ben is here. I forget to breathe.


He brings his wife this time and she gives the crowd lots of attention. While I am not loving Jennifer Garner's dress, there is no denying her winning smile and bright eyes.


The only actor to completely skip my section of the fan area. Jeremy Renner (Oscar nominee for The Hurt Locker) does a quick session down the line and then scoots over the press gang.


Jon Hamm ("Mad Men") has arrived.



Oh my god, Jon Hamm. He is so devastatingly handsome in person. It is unbelievable.


9:10pm
Blake Lively ("Gossip Girl", Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants is the last of the Town talent to arrive. To think I was commenting about her being "one to watch" in 2005.


I cannot believe how close I got to all of these actors/actresses. There isn't any zoom in this shot. Just pure Blake face right up in mine.


I love this shot of her outlined against the wall of photographers. I imagine this is most of her life these days. The dress is amazing. Kind of bizarre but amazing.


Rushing back to the red carpet after spending almost a full 10 minutes with fans and press. She is getting this game down good.


9:40pm
It is time to head home. The stars are inside enjoying the gala reception. Ben will be introducing the film to the those who actually scored tickets to the show. Here they are filing into the theatre.


I think I picked the better thing to do. I can see movies in the theatre at another time but seeing the stars? You need a perfect night for that and I got it!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! Did you touch Ben? Was he amazing?

lisa said...

James Macavoy is Hot!