Thursday, September 30, 2010

365 Days of Nothing New

Do you remember the last piece of clothing you bought? For me it ws this blue H&M dress on the left. I bought it during the last week of August and it was the final new clothing taste I have had since then. It has been 30 days.

On September 1st I went on a clothing diet. The goal is to go 365 days and buy any new clothes. The inspiration for the challenge is the "The Great American Apparel Diet" - a shopping sabbatical initiative that began in the U.S. in 2009. The "diet" kicked off its second year this September and I decided to follow along with my own attempt.

The rules of the apparel diet are as follows:

The things you can guzzle without guilt:

1. Clothes currently in your closet, on hooks, in your drawers or on your floor as long as they are not new.

2. Footwear

3. Accessories

4. Underwear—every girl should have a great pair of clean underwear on at all times.

Those items that are not allowed:

1. New clothes

“New” is anything that you pay for. An item is “not new,” if it something a person gives you (you cannot write a check to your husband or best friend and give them instructions or a wish list for your “must haves".)

A review of the Apparel Diet website reveals that women have as many reasons for quitting clothes shopping as they do for purchasing in the first place. Indulgence is like that I guess. For me the reason was twofold:

1. Financial. In the first half of 2010 I had spent over $1000 on clothes. When I lived in Australia - the purpose of which was to travel and explore - I still managed to flip my entrie wardrobe multiple times! For the last 10 years, my monthly average has been hovering around $200. Sometimes it is due to a couple of pricier purchases but most often it is the tally of WAY too many $30 grabs. Like snacking, my shopping can have an incremental effect and I was losing dollars the way one packs on calories from a series of poor choices.

2. Emotional. As much as I am an emotional eater, I am doubly an emotional shopper. Boredom. Happiness. Stress. Congratulatory. Lonely. Excited. Every emotion could be used as valid fuel for an apparel binge. Every event in life could be rationalized as a reason to buy something new. Through this process I have amassed piles of clothing over the years. I know that I have given more clothes away in the last year than many of my friends have purchased. And alot of what I have bought I did not need. Some of it I never wore. But the pure act of clothes shopping itself was enjoyable. This behaviour is, of course, the very essence of the shopaholic. I admit it. I need to find different outlets - not outlet malls! - for my feelings. So the best thing to do was remove the drug.

Which brings me to now. Thirty-days later. I have not cheated. The experience has made me re-evaluate the wardrobe I already possess. The stockpile of clothes crammed into my tiny closet has become its own department store. Yesterday I wore a jacket for the first time. A jacket I had bought in the spring of 2009! So onwards I go. Eleven months to go. I feel lighter already.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great idea! I had a similar experience when I started working my gov job and had no "work" clothes. I used that as an excuse to get in the habit of shopping a lot (didn't help that our office building was connected to a huge mall!) I'd like to say I built up my wardrobe with wonderful things, but most of it was junky, or didn't go with anything I owned, or didn't fit right, or whatever. I think I was buying all the clothes because I still felt nervous about fitting in and being taken seriously at my job.

Anyway, I did a shopping fast like you're doing (though only for 3 months, so I am totally amazed that you're doing a year! Yay!) and got myself back on track and it's been much better since. And I can't believe how much money I had to spare when I stopped buying clothes all the time.

nat said...

Wow. Good for you. Keep updating us on how it goes!

I'm the reverse and must force myself to shop more frequently so that I don't end up having to buy a bunch at once out of desperation and end up with clothes I don't really like.

For instance, had I visited H & M more frequently, I would have found that dress you're wearing in brilliant blue (yay!) instead of the one I bought in a mediocre peach . . and which I bought because I already had one in coral and was delighted to not have to try it on so I could get out more quickly.